at what age is it ok to switch from formula to 2% milk?

zayners

Asked by zayners at 11:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't go straight from formula to 2%. You can use whole milk at a year, and keep them on that till two.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm sorry, I meant to say at least two cups a day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Whole milk at 1 yr and then 2% at age 2
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You can go straight to 2%. It used to be thought that anything else was detrimental to babies study now have shown that a child eating all solids doesn't need the calories in whole milk as was originally thought. They should get enough calories from their regular solid foods. It used to be whole until 2, but recently that has changed. Now it is your choice I guess. There is no reason to wait, but not really a reason not to unless your child is overweight.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• unless your child is overweight it wont hurt to go to whole milk then 2%. But as far as what age, wait atleast a year or longer to prevent milk allergies.
    Gaberielle

Answer by Gaberielle at 12:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The reason why whole milk is needed until 2 yrs old is for brain development. Go with whole milk until 2yrs of age and then down to 1%.

Anonymous

• "Can I give my toddler fat-free or reduced-fat milk?            Not yet. While we adults strive to eat and drink lower-fat versions of our favorite foods, it's important that you start your child out with whole milk, not lower-fat varieties. That's because he needs the higher fat and caloric content for his growth and development right now. In fact, for children under 2 years old, fats should make up about half of the total caloric intake for the day. Once your child has another birthday — and he doesn't have any growth problems — you may decide to start switching to reduced-fat milk." http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc?page=2#articlesection4 

Anonymous

• after formula at one year offer whole milk and at age 2 offer 2% milk.
    sandraurrutia86

Answer by sandraurrutia86 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• achually my kids are 3.5 and 13 months. When I took my youngest in for her 12 month checkup they asked if I was giving milk yet when I said yes she told me to give her whole milk. But I have been giving her 2% before the dr said whole. My oldest noone told me what kind of milk to give to her so I always gave her 2% because that was what we were drinking. My kids don't drink it before it expires and hubby and I drink 2% so we always used 2% and both of my girls were fine. But they do say to use whole milk unless they are overweight
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009