Whole Milk or 2%?

I always thought you put babies on whole milk at one year when you wean them off of formula/breast milk. However, I've seen moms on hear refer to 2%. My daughter is on the chunkier side (always in the 95% for her weight) and I worry that she is getting too many calories. She LOVES to eat. So...which is it and why? 2% or whole?

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whole milk for the fat content. Their brains need it. Your daughter will hit a grow spurt and all of the sudden will be skinny. Chubby is good!
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I always do whole. at least until age 2. They need the extra fat. My sis in law put her son on skim.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Whole milk until at least TWO. There are good fats in whole milk that can help with overall development.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Whole milk until age 2 (the fat is needed for brain development), but they don't really need to drink it all day long. I can't remember how many ounces my pediatrician told me, but it was like one or two servings of milk, one serving of juice, and water the rest of the time.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My son isnt skinny lol. But I let him drink whole milk until he turned 2. But I had trouble getting him to drink it. He prefers strawberry or chocolate milk now.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Actually, calcium from skim milk is easier absorbed by the body. All the fat in Whole milk makes it harder for your stomach to absorb the calcium in milk. So, if your child already has enough healthy fats in his/her diet i would suggest ORGANIC skim milk. If they do not have healthy fats in there diet, than 2% or whole milk is recommended. My daughter has always drank organic skim milk & is a healthy lil tiger, she also takes omega fatty acid supplements though, so she gets plenty of healthy fats in her diet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• OH, this was after 2 that she began drinking skim milk, she breast fed until she was 2 and did not drink much cow milk until after she weened.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my son refuses to drink whole milk so we use 2 percent
    Anonymous