3.5 yr old boy still wetting overnight?

Does anybody else have a preschooler who is potty trained but still wont wake up during the night to go pee and frequently soaks an overnight pullup enough to wet the bed?
My son will be 4 in June and he has been 100%potty trained during the day since he was 23 months old. However, my husband did the wetting bed overnight all the way into his teens until the doc figured out it was something that he could take a prescription for.. apparently its common in boys mostly for some nerve not to develop the "wake up and go" response when they are asleep until they mature more. Our pediatrician last said that it IS hereditary, but they cant truly diagnose it until I think she said 5. So Im curious I guess if anyone else has this problem, or if it sounds like thats definitely my sons problem?

MamaBuggy

Asked by MamaBuggy at 12:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's very common for kids - boys and girls - to wet the bed for years after being potty trained. That's why potty training and night time dryness have next to nothing to do with each other. Did you know that 20% of 5 year olds wet the bed? Did you know that if one parent was a bed-wetter, then the child is much more likely to do so to? Did you know that doctors don't consider it a medical problem until about 7 year old?

For now, either switch him back to overnight diapers, use overnight pullups, or try a dipaer doubler in his pullup. Also limit fluids 2 hours before bed, make sure he goes before bed, and consider waking him for a potty run before you go to bed. Be patient and make sure he knows that lots of his friends have the same problem and that his dad did too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yep....what she said. My 7 yr old son still wets the bed too. We use the good nights.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well Austin wet the bed up until this past month. What has worked for us is we put him to bed and then before my hubby and I got to bed we get him out of bed (even if he is still half asleep:)) and make him go potty, sometimes he goes and others not, but he has bed dry ever since we started this. I was a little worried, but the doctor told me until they are around 5 they usually don't wake up when they have the urge. You are doing good, i would also recommend the overnight big boy unders. (diapers) They hold more pee, which makes less work for mama!
    mimimom2

Answer by mimimom2 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My nephew has that problem. (His younger brother does not.) He can sleep through anything and I mean ANYTHING. lol He'll wet the bed or soak through a pull up and won't even notice. I was the same way. My parents had a tough time teaching me to wake to go potty and then go back to bed. The pp gave some good advice. Good luck to ya!

janellet

Answer by janellet at 12:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Thanks mamas, appreciate the answers and glad to know Im not the only one dealing with wet beds UGH. I will try another type of overnight pull-ups/underwear next time we need them, the Pull Ups arent cutting it half the time.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 1:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I dont have any kids that age but my 2 friends has 3 boys between them. All the biys had to go until they were closer to age 5 before going through the night w/out wetting the bed. Now the youngest and also a girl she was fully potty trained before age 3.

all kids are diiferent-but I wouldnt worry about it. try and find something that will atleast hold in the pee so you dont have to change the sheets
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Hayden will be 4 in March and he still wets the bed at night too. Every once in a while it is enough to soak a pull up and nearly every morning there is some amount of pee in it. I also had this problem when I was little. I was 10 years old before I was diagnosed and given a prescription. I took the meds for a little while and it stopped. I don't remember how long I took them.
    murelzgirl

Answer by murelzgirl at 1:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah, I heard it's very common for boys to wet the bed for a while so I wouldn't worry too much. The good thing is he's potty trained during the day, ya know? Somehow I got really, really lucky with Tyler and not only did he basically potty train overnight, he has never had an accident, not even during the night! He will wake up if he has to go! BUT, I think that's not too common! Good luck!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's not a problem in our house. My son still wears pull-ups at night, but underwear during the day because he's daytime potty-trained. It's a fact of our life, but it's not a problem since he's only going to be 4 in June.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Oh, boys are bad. I have a 7 year old still in an overnight and it's wet most mornings when he gets up, and my almost 10 year old still wets the bed once a month or so. It's just the way some boys are and the way their bodies grow. My doctor isn't worried yet.
    lisafdoula

Answer by lisafdoula at 6:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009