Any advice on you to restore my patience with my two and a half year old?

We have a new baby in the house, and my patience has run out for my older son Jonathan. I feel terrible with the way i feel. I know this is hard for him, but he is acting out so badly.

wendylindekugel

Asked by wendylindekugel at 12:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to see things from his perspective. He's used to having all attention on him.
    If you can, when daddy is home, have daddy wear him out playing.
    When it's just you, him and baby, have him help you do things for baby. It may be easier for you to do, like getting a diaper or whatnot, but it makes him feel included. Include him as much as possible.
    I have a 2 1/2 yo, as well, with another one coming in a couple of weeks. DH and I have a game plan to make sure DS is still getting attention and feeling included, while giving baby the attention he needs.
    And if you can't give him the attention you LO need right that second, explain to him that when you are finished with the task you are doing, you will do such and such with him ( take him to the park, read a book , color).
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i have a 19 month old that can push the limits. if i feel myself getitng mad or upset i literally take him into his room, put him down for a nap, and walk away. i'll go read a book or take a shower or do something just for me.
    when i have my 4 year old stepson with us and there's two of them and only one of me...i take the LO upstairs in his crib and the 4 yr old watches a movie or something.
    remember it is okay to ask for help and it is okay to do things for yourself!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Maybe just try holding him when he gets that way until he calms down. When ever I am all wound up a good hug from my husband seems to make it all feel better. Try and get out of the house for an hour at night when your husband can watch them and then try to take the time to put your son to bed with a couple of books, just the two of you for some cuddle time. Maybe try having him be your little helper all day. Give him little jobs to do that make him feel included and apart of the new baby. Maybe he can get you diapers and throw them away for you so that you are praising him all day.
    Anonymous