Is this illegal?

I work at a restaurant 3 nights per week as a bartender. If someone walks out on a check we are liable for the cost of whatever they drank. Also if we happen to lose a check we are equired to pay a $25.00 fee. A few employees are saying that its illegal to do this. Any ideas?

mommy05300706

Asked by mommy05300706 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call the labor board in your area and ask. They will be able to give you a definitive answer.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I am a server in a bar and we will NOT run a tab for someone with having their debit card, once the tab is closed they get their card back. Otherwise they have to pay for every single drink when they get it. I guess it's a little different in a restaurant, but if they want to hold their employees liable then they need to put better rules or preventive measures in place to help get who is really responsible for the bill to pay.
    Anonymous