Libertarian?

I have to admit, I've heard a lot of girls mention this, but I've never really looked into it. After a mysterious anon poster kept mentioning this in a previous post, I checked out the website, and I have to admit, I liked what I saw.

Does anyone have anything to weigh in on this party? Why is it not more active? I don't remember seeing many candidates in my area? For anything, not just Pres. Also, pro-life or pro-choice? didn't see that on the sight.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Libertarian Party Platform Preamble

As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

We believe that respect for individual rights is the essential precondition for a free and prosperous world, that force and fraud must be banished from human relationships, and that only through freedom can peace and prosperity be realized.

Consequently, we defend each person's right to engage in any activity that is peaceful and honest, and welcome the diversity that freedom brings. The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power ...

To read the complete preamble/platform visit: http://www.lp.org/platform
    jejstover

Answer by jejstover at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i love it :] its basically anti government (im simplifying it a lot)

pro-choice because we dont feel government has a right to tell people what they can and cant do
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would probably be Libertarian but I disagree with their stance on govt regulation. I'm not for excessive regulation for businesses but I just don't trust them to do what's best for anyone except their shareholders.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Could anyone recommend any good books or (valid) websites to research? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Libertarians are OK but I disagree with completely unregulated business (see the current state of the insurance industry and finance industry after regulations were lessened). As far as not seeing them, in my state there is a libertarian on every ballot in almost every election. Maybe it varies by state though.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• www.lp.org
    this is the site I was checking out. I like the small government theory. I haven't had time to go through the entire site, we are packing to take the kids to the aquarium this weekend, so I'm just checking things out for two min. here and there. . .

I liked what they said about bailouts, too. I'm going to be researching this in the next couple of weeks. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Libertarian here.

Abortion is a woman’s choice and does not concern the state
    Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that libertarians can hold good-faith views on both sides, we believe the government should be kept out of the question. We condemn state-funded abortions. It is particularly harsh to force someone who believes that abortion is murder to pay for another’s abortion. It is the right of the woman, not the state, to decide the desirability of prenatal testing, Caesarean births, fetal surgery, and/or home births.
    Anonymous

• I agree with many liberatarian principals (esp since most republicans have now become liberals)

As a Christian I don't like their pro-choice stance, I DO like the smaller government stance a lot. Social programs and not extensive spending are not part of their agenda. I absolutely love the idea of LOCAL control over schools and many things. Our large government is too cumbersome. They want to simplify the tax code and lower taxes. They want to lower health care by using market based reforms as opposed to adding government ownership of yet another industry.

If I had to chose liberal or liberatarian I'd pick liberatarian any day.

www.lp.org
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I like the Libertarian Party a lot, but I don't agree with their stance on unsecured borders. Other than that, and their call for the abolishment of Social Security, I would be Libertarian.
    Anonymous

• the problem most pro-lifers have with the libertarian party is that regardless of the candidate's personal opinion/stance on the issue, it goes against the party's platform for the government to be allowed to dictate how an individual should live, think, feel, etc. That's the job of the BIG, socialist/democratic/obama government. They want to interfere in your life and tell you how to run it. Libertarians don't give a damn what you do with yourself/your body, they may not like it, but opinion and government rule are two different things.
    Anonymous