how do i get my 4yo morkie 2 loss weight

lanegirl

Asked by lanegirl at 1:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Change her food. You can purchase weight control dog food at petsmart and petco. When Dogs get older, they tend to need changes in diet. Also there is a formula for older dogs that is really good too, I think it's Iams. Oh yeah, walks too.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If you give her human food, stop. That is one of the easiest ways to help your dog lose weight. I used to give my dog table food on top of her regular dog food and she got sooooooo fat! I stopped the table food and measured out her dog food and she lost the right amount of weight and is happier and healthier now. If you give her treats, limit them. Remember, your dog will love you no matter what. Treats and food don't make her love you more, they just make HER more unhealthy. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Just like with people, reduce her calorie intake and increase the amount of exercise she gets. She CAN eat "people" food, as long as it is good food: chicken, veggies, fruits, etc. Snack foods and processed foods are just as bad for pets as they are for humans. Try to switch to a good-quality food with chicken as the first/main ingredient, and make a point to walk her at least once (preferably twice) a day, EVERY day. The vet can tell you what her weight should be, and what rate will be safe for her to lose weight. Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2009