Can you understand this question?

I made an appointment with the orthamologist (my ss has a syt looking thing on his eye lid and it just won't go away) anyway I call give all info on him then they say I will have to pay a deductible of 125.00 on top of my copay that I knew I had to pay anyway ($20.00). I thought deductible was only for auto insurance purposes...lol I guess I was wrong. I want to know what the heck why do I have to come up with this just to get him looked and just let the insurance people agrue about it not me I am already paying my part through my job and at the visits.

Can you help me understand this?

Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would question it with your work. Ask whomever does the insurance to explain it to you. That is how our insurance works, we have a copay and if we use a specialist we have to pay more as well!
    About the cyst. My Daughter had one and it was removed only to grow back within a days time. Eventually it just went away. She had it for around 7 years and then it was just gone!
    redheadedmommie

Answer by redheadedmommie at 1:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Most health insurance plans have a deductible for services other than a routine check up.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Some health insurance policies have a deductible that you have to meet for each person and for the family and once that is met you have to pay your copay. My insurance company requires a 1000 deductible then 20 for copays and then you have to pay 20% of what is left. You need to contact your insurance company to find out what your financial obligations are when you go to the dr. It is your responsibility to understand all of this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No health insurance can have a deductible too. They may pay for example anything over 200. I would contact your insurance carrier before going
    Anonymous

• Most Insurance companies have a deductible that has to be met before they pay ANY portion of the visit. The good thing is that any and all Doctor's appointments go towards the deductible(except for, in some cases, mental health.That can be grouped on its own at times). Call Your Insurance to find out how high it is. Some people have a deductible of about 2-500 dollars while othere have a $1500.00 deductible. And if you signed the financial poilicy at your doctor's office then you are responsible for paying hte deductible plus copay out of pocket. Insurance won't cover it(obviously) the same way they won't cover a fee for a missed appointment.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 2:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes thats your deductible. It sounds like the office visit was about that much so you have to pay all of it. You pay a monthly premium to be insured and then each person has a deductible that must be paid before the insurance co will pay. We not only pay premiums, but we each have a $400 ded and we also pay a prescription deductible as well. I have to pay the first $75 at the pharmacy before insurance will take it. Just one bottle of ambien and I am set for the year...LOL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• deductible is what you pay out of pocket then the insurance will pay for the rest and you shouldnt have to pay the deductible again at least thats the way it is with our insurance
    Anonymous

• if you can prove you have met your deductible then you don' t have to pay it again. Call your insurance co to see how much of your deductible is paid for this year (you pay it every year). They could fax your dr or you can pay it and be reimbursed by the ins co. BTW, have you tried some of the old wives tale remedies for a sty? My x and I always used a gold ring and rubbed it on the sty. It always worked for us. Not sure if there is a certain karat but we used our wedding bands for it. That way we didn't go to the dr.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Ask the person in charge of insurance policy/coverage/plan at your job before going. Go to an Optometrist instead of an Opthamologist. (I've worked for both) An Opthamologist could be considered a specialist with your insurance company and an Optometrist isn't. (Opto cheaper, Optha expensive)  That may be why the deductible. For the sty in the mean time, put warm compresses on it every day, that generally will draw the sty out, if not, relieve it until you get into the doctor.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Soak a tea bag in warm water (not hot water) and hold it on the sty. Continue to do this for ten minutes, though discontinue if major discomfort occurs. Do not press the tea bag against your eye.This should help bring the puss to a head sooner, causing the puss to drain sooner. The tea bag method may halve the time you have a sty. Tannic acid inside of tea kills the bacteria inside the sty. This is why the tea bag method works so well.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2009