• In the Spotlight:

Octo-Mess: Whose fault is it?

Staff arrived at the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium on Tuesday morning 2/24 to find their offices soaked with hundreds of gallons of sea water. A preliminary investigation points to an eight-legged suspect — the aquarium's resident two-spotted octopus, a tiny female known for being curious and gregarious with visitors. The main evidence against the octopus was the dislodged tube in its 10-gallon tank and the steady stream of water flowing out of the tank, said aquarist Brianne Emhiser. The octopus apparently tugged on a valve, allowing water to overflow. "We're estimating we lost a few hundred gallons of sea water onto the aquarium floor," said Emhiser, who was among the first people on the scene.

I blame the cephalopod, how about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I blame the cephalopod, how about you?

dude that is the funniest line ever, i want to steal it
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm confused.
    Anonymous

• LOLOLOL! oh wow. that is hilarious
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• what?
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• please explain
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Its an animal kept in captivity! What do people expect. Its like when zoo workers get maimed by tigers. You can take the animal out of nature, but you can't take nature out of the animal. I don't know I mean, I think really, it is kind of funny. The animal was just trying to manipulate her surrounding in my opinion. So if she did tug on this valve that caused an overflow that flooded the offices, you can't really blame the animal. The question should be why was this valve accessible from the inside of the tank? LOL
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You are welcome, it is now yours. ;)

"I blame the cephalopod, how about you?...dude that is the funniest line ever, i want to steal it."
    Anonymous

• what can you expect when you hold something in captivity?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• LMAO ~~ Thanks ladies, I needed a chuckle!
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009