Rountine Bloodwork for a 5 yr old?

My son is 5 and a half and yesterday I got a random call from the pedi's office saying they wanted him to come in for routine bloodwork and to make sure he isn't anemic. I thought this was strange since we haven't been in for months, and shows no signs of anemia or any other health issues what so ever. Also none of my nieces or nephews have ever had it. Has anyone else had routine bloodwork on a healthy 5 yr old?

Natsnumberthree

Asked by Natsnumberthree at 1:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, the only time our son had bloodwork done was when he was diagnosed with mono.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• That does seem odd...I would call them back and question them as to why they want to do this now when you haven't been there in awhile. Maybe they missed something when you were in for your routine check-up.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No, I would call and ask specifically why. If they say its just something they do, I would deny it. No reason to pay for something thats not needed. If he were anemic, you would likely know it. I don't allow anyone to do pointless test unless they have a reason why. It costs me too much money.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Usually they will do that test as a part of the kindergarten physical. I wouldn't really call it "bloodwork" they just poke the finger with a "slide" (looks like a microscope slide) and put it in a machine, so there are no needles if they are just testing for anemia.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 5:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Nope sure haven't. My oldest kid hasn't had bloodwork done since she was a baby. I just had my 10yr olds done to check for a variety of diseases but he is growing at the rate of a 7yr old and he is 10. So they are checking his pituitary and thyroid etc. But on a healthy 5 yr old I dont see it necessary. You seem to be a pretty healthy family and eat balanced meals (since hubby is a chef) I wouldnt worry about.
    Allstar_Mom

Answer by Allstar_Mom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009