Gerber Juice

Whats a safe/good age to start the little Gerber juices?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, they don't need it at all, but if you really want to give it, I would wait until at least 6-7 months and dilute it with water . . . . half juice, half water. OJ has been known to give major diaper rash.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would wait until at least 6 months. Only give one cup a day, they dont need that much sugar. My son is almost 2 and still only gets juice once or twice a week. I'd also stick to apple or white grape at first, dont use orange juice for the first year. Also if you buy juicy juice and dilute it half juice and half water you get WAY more for the money and its the same thing. If you buy gerber you are basically paying more for the brand name.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i started giving both of my boys juice at around 6 months.
    sandraurrutia86

Answer by sandraurrutia86 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i put off juice for as long as possible.
    no sense in giving them the sweets to drink when it's not necessary.

i think we started with juice for my daughter at about 1. she's 3 now and we still give it to her cut 1/2 with water.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think I started my girls about 9 months on juices-- diluted, but I think I will wait until 1 yr for my boys
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I started giving some juice and water mixed (50/50) at 6 months. I never used gerber juices. No reason to pay that much for a tiny little bottle of diluted juice when I can get a bigger container and do it myself.

They don't ever really "need" it though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My pedi told me to start juice when I started food bc it would help keep his BM's regulated(which I find to be true bc the day after he doesn't have juice he is constipated). Gerber juice dosen't need to be diluted bc it already is it is specifically made for babies. But do what you feel is right. Mommy instincts are usually the way to go.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• As long as your baby is only getting 4 to 6 oz. a day, juice is fine. Juice is supposed to be more of a "treat" than an everyday thing. My son gets juice maybe every other day or so. Just make sure the juice is 100% juice.. it doesn't have to be any special brand.
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 3:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009