What do you think about kids beeing taught about gay/ lesbian issues at primary school?

In some schools in England they have story hour where they also read gay/ lesbian fairy tales to the kids. (For example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-441542/Four-year-olds-gay-fairytales-school.html)
I'm like "live and let live", do what you like, but do it in your own back yard. Don't you dare poison the young ones. So it is probably an understatement, but I am absolutely disgusted by it! And any school that takes part is a school my daughter will not go to.
Please tell me what you think about this issue (not how you feel about me opinion).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• IM against it. It goes against my religion and that I am teaching my children. If people want respect for their lifestyle and dont want people praying etc in school they have to extend that very same respect to christians. I would personally pull my child from the school and file a lawsuit.

Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• As long as they were also reading other fairy tales, it wouldn't bother me.. They read all kinds of stories in schools these days, it's a parents responsibility to explain the stories (no matter the story) and teach their children. I don't see it as "poisoning" a child. That's a bit naive. I mean, there are worse things that could be read then a fairy tale with a gay/lesbian couple. Seriously... I mean, Snow White is cruel: the huntsman is ordered to MURDER Snow White, then he CUTS OUT an animals heart and hands it to the queen? Yea, Gay/lesbian couple or murder and violence... hmmm
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Doesn't bother me. They try and push religious fairy tales into public school all the time. My oldest learned what I consider religious songs during music class at her public school and I just had to grin and bear it.
    But, my kids already know what it means to be gay and it isn't some huge deal. They just think of them as people, which they are. I'd rather them learn about tolerance for all types of people then about god.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm all for it, schools should be teaching tolerance and understanding. Homosexuals are people too and some kids do have two mommies or two daddies....I want my daughter to know that and hopefully grow to accept it. If everyone could just accept people for who they are the world be so much better!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think that is too young. Let the schools teach them the ABC's and let the parents tell their own children about alternative lifestyles, as they see fit.
    ProudTxGrandma

Answer by ProudTxGrandma at 2:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• So what happens if the child gets to be great friends with a child who has two mommy's or two daddy's and wants to have a sleep over? There will be questions, I would rather have a group inclusion than to OUT a child who lives with two same sex parents. I think it's about sime that we just educated our kids about life and other people in small doses. Obviously the teacher's are not going to be reading the PLAYBOY version of the fairytale, so I would not be offended or even flinch if my son's were listening to it. They know our values, and how we believe to treat other people.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• NOPE. I am responsible for teaching my kids what I want them to know in an age appropriate way. Its not the schools place to deal with social issues like that. I want to do it in my own way and time and if one of my children had to face this issue I would deal with it. Its my job and the schools have no right to delve into these types of issues. The minute I hear about them even considering mandating that in our schools, my kids are out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• THis is not about tolerance and understanding at all. This is about the school overstepping their boundaries on a sensitive subject that is not their place. Just because I feel its not the schools job does NOT mean that I won't teach tolerance and understanding. The two things are not related.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009