Lymph node removal in a 5 year old?

While visiting my son's pediatrician yesterday for a sinus infection, she noticed that my son has a lymph node in his neck that is abnormally large. For the record, it's been enlarged like this for a couple of years now even when he's not sick. His pediatrician wants me to take him to get blood work done after he finishes his antibiotics for his sinus infection (in 9 more days) and that getting the lymph node removed and a biospy taken on it is a likely course of action. I'm scared to death! Has anyone been through this? I'd love some guidance. I have no doubt that there might be something wrong with the lymph node, but I'm just worried about the whole process. My son also has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and I'm worried that this might be something that goes along with that...

heather__

Asked by heather__ at 1:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have a lymph node in my neck that has been there since I was 2. My son has one in his neck in about the same spot as mine (he's 8). i can tell you that mine gets really swollen when I have a sinus infection, cold, etc.. It's always swollen, but it's more noticeable when I'm sick. Is it possible for you to get a 2nd opinion, since you are uncomfortable with what your doc said? That's probably what I'd do before I did anything drastic.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter has PFAPA syndrome that causes swollen lymph nodes when she gets fevers. Anyway she has one that has not gone away since she was a baby and everytime I mention it to any specialist no one seems to care. It's always there and it's huge.

My brother also had several lymph nodes that never went away when he was a kid ( now they are gone) and my dad who is a doctor never seemed concerned and he was fine.

Obviously lymph nodes can signal issues, so I would talk to your doctor more about it. Ask if his syndrome puts him more at risk or if you can wait and see. Honestly it sounds like needless surgery, but I am not a doctor and do not know his history. I agree with the pp maybe get a second opinion because it seems like these types of lymph nodes are not uncommon. You are not the first one to post a question about a "chronic" lymph node on here either. Most people I have seen said their pedi's said to just leave it
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009