What do you think about a 2 yr old sleeping with a little tv in his room?

Last night was HORRIBLE! my son wouldnt go sleep in his room, he was up until 3:30 this morning. I asked him what was wrong, and he said TV! i was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!.... You are not watching a movie right now!! But im thinking that he needs the backround noise.. but i dont want to spoil him. What do you think?

HaviksMum

Asked by HaviksMum at 1:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's background noise he needs, could you try a sound machine instead?
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree. If its backround noise I would try a sound machine or maybe some soothing music. If he has a TV in his room, take it out. Don't let him watch more than an hour of TV a day, less if you can, and none of it within the hour before bedtime. Explain to him that TV time will be from __ to __ today, but that's it. Until then, he can play with this REALLY COOL puzzle lol or a book, let him splash in the tub, or in the mud outside. Keep him as busy as possible, and soon he will get the message that TV is something only done at certain times. HTH mama!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• tv in the bedroom is really bad. it is a stimulant and will keep him up and without a good nights sleep. let him listen to the radio instead. at least there are no lights to keep him awake. or put a book on tape in for him.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• He already has to sleep with a light on!!!! I feel like such a bad mom! Its my fault about the tv, cus we dont have a cable so we watch movies alot, and we live in an apartment, and its cold outside and rainy/snowy. Hes a really great kid, and the whole not sleeping in his room just started 3 nights ago! before he would voluntarily walk in his room and go to sleep!!
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 3:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Other ways for background noise and consider this......do you want to start a habit?
    Anonymous

• i think it's horrible. if you need background noise get a boombox.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son. For 3 months straight he would keep us up in the living and would not settle down until the tv was turned on. He would eventually go to sleep with it on. Now I have a little tv in his room. We turn in on a half hour before bedtime. He will go lay in his bed and will be asleep within 10 minutes. Then we go in an turn the tv off. We have been doing this for a month now with now problems. He waked up everyday at 7 in the morning and is full of energy all day. I called his doctor just to make sure that it would be ok to do that and she said that it was fine as long as he is getting adequate sleep.
    Anonymous

• I have a fan in my son's room.
    They also have 'sound machines'.
    Personally I wouldn't go with a tv, because I feel it would stimulate him too much when he SHOULD be sleeping.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 10:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's a proven fact that your brain doesn't rest when there's music/tv on while you're sleeping. You're brain is subconciously working.. listening, paying attention. If you're child is needing to get still and focused to go to sleep, try reading to him. No TV in the bedroom. Kids shouldn't watch enough TV to have one in their room, ya know?? Also, try spending more time being physically active. If he's tired, you shouldn't have a problem getting him to bed at a decent hour. My kiddo is only 2 and loves the woods. He is so exhausted when we're done, and he's normally learned something new!
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Try ambient noise such as waves, rain, forest sounds, or soft music. It works for me ! The television actually can disturb sleep.
    nini624

Answer by nini624 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2013