Suleman Vs Duggar is there that much of a difference?

im am NOT saying that I argee in any way with Nadya Sulemans choices- i dont, but i was just wondering how come people give her a way worse time then the Duggars?
yeh she had IVF and is singel but still they cannot afford 18 kids either
heres an article on the matter:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chez-pazienza/nadia-suleman-the-duggars_b_165890.html
thoughts on this please

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the difference most people are trying to impose is that
    Suleman isnt married
    She had IVF
    She doesnt have a job
    The Duggers own their own business. They dont rely on govt asst etc.
    Personally I can care less either way. In both instances its the woman (and man in the duggars case) utilizing their freedom to choose what they want for their lives. The pursuit of happiness is guaranteed in our country, even if you dont agree with someone. If I wanted to have 21 kids to make me happy thatd be my right.

Answer by gemgem at 2:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I dont really care what either family (or any other family for that matter) is doing or how many children they do or don't have. However, the Duggars are married, they have jobs, they are able to financially support their children, they conceived their children "the old fashion" way.
    Suleman does not have a job, chose to have children knowing that she did not have a job or a father figure for her children, cannot financially support the children she has and is on PA. Again I dont really care, but its not at all the same.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The Duggers can afford their children! They don't live with their parents or get Govt. assistance. The have way more money wise than they even let on in the show. Anyone who has a fricken bobcat, back hoe, and car lift is well off.
    Anonymous

• there is a difference but in the end i dont care how many kids they have if it makes them happy.
    The duggers have the means to raise their children granted im sure most of it comes from their tv show. There are many many familys out there who have tones of kids and cant afford them. As long as they love their children and are doing the best they can i think thats all that matters.
    Anonymous

• The Duggars CAN CERTAINLY afford their children. You can't even compare the two. She wanted to bring that up in the interview with Dr Phil and its not even a viable conversation. The Duggars live in a 7000 sq ft home that is completely paid for. They own 9 vehicles including a tour bus that they travel in. They own acres and acres of property that they rent out to commercial businesses and they have money coming in from a cell phone company because they put a tower on their property. THey have never taken ONE DIME of public assistance and all of their kids have healthcare that THEY PAY for out of their pocket. They run several other businesses to create income. They are BOTH home during the day to parent and they are very educated people. They are married and have a wonderful relationship. Thats not even close to being able to compare these two. No way.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree, the Duggars I respect completely! This woman, having kids so we have to pay for them, and people like all of us, who work our butts off, and are barely making it, get NADA in PA. So, that is the big issue for me, HUGE! Why should WE pay for her to be on welfare and to pay to raise her kids, when we can barely make ends meet, working 18 hour days? This isn't even a comparison, and shouldn't be.
    I think she needs to take care of the kids she already had. Even her dad said he isn't sure of her mental stability.
    I agree that people should be able to have as many kids as they want, as long as they can support them. I don't mind with the economy issues, helping people who have been laid off or are working and still aren't cutting it, but to have kids KNOWING you can't take care of them... that is the problem
    Yasmin

Answer by Yasmin at 2:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• This article is ridiculous. I only read the 1st 5 lines and shut it off. Its simply an opinion from someone who not only doesnt understand but apparently doesnt have any reservations about insulting people in print. Its just someones view point who is apparently misguided. Theres NO comparison.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The Duggars are a strong family with both a mother and a father with the means to support their children. They are able to provide a home large enough for them, food and clothing, etc... That is why there's a difference.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• BIG difference, for the reasons the above have already stated. I can't believe that anyone even thinks they can compare the two.
    ProudTxGrandma

Answer by ProudTxGrandma at 3:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• There's a big difference.
    One has two adults in the home to help care for the children. The children range in age with many of them being old enough to not only be very self-sufficient but old enough to help with the younger ones. They can afford their children without government or charitiable help. They had their children because they wanted a big family and enjoy raising them.
    One has one adult who has been living off of her parents. The previous kids are closely spaced in age and still require a lot of care. The new babies are all the same age and will require tremendous care. She can't afford to care for her previous children. She certainly can't afford the new 8 without government or charitiable help. She had her children to make up for a lonely, disfunctional childhood (her own words).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009