fighting isn't good

What is a good discipline for a 11 yo girl who got into a verbal and physical fight on the bus? 2 other kids got into the fight after it started. The parents called the school saying she has "welts" and they are blaming our child. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with some of the previous posts. I would find out for sure who started it because you don't want to give false feedback. If she is innocent and defending herself you could talk to her about how other options than hitting would have been a better choice in such a situation. If she did start the fight I would do exactly what Calapuls suggested and make her work it off. I had a similar situation with my son and my husband had him wash the car, fold all the laundry, sweep the garage, etc for the whole entire day on a Saturday. It totally worked. When he realized that the consequence lasted the whole day he took it more to heart.
    Mom525

Answer by Mom525 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• depends on if she started the fight or not. i was always raised that i shouldnt throw the first punch but not to let someone sit and beat on me either.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Make her work her butt off. Have her clean the garage, do laundry, the dishes, pull weeds, whatever you can think of.
    calapuls

Answer by calapuls at 2:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have to agree with both SThompson and calapuls...but try to find out what happened and who started the fight. Perhaps discuss it with other parents whose kids ride the bus. I know that as parents we always want to say "not my kid" but you have to keep in mind that sometimes our kids, as good as they can be may make the wrong choices.
    Either way, fighting is not acceptable unless it was in self defense which would mean she had no choice.
    riosordo

Answer by riosordo at 3:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2009