Is it easier to give advice than to solve our own problems?

Many times, it’s easier to give someone advice on how to solve their problems than it is to solve our own. Why do you suppose this is? What do we get out of giving someone else advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes it is easier to give advice than to solve our own problems. Maybe because we know our advice is only one point of view, and we'd like to have more than our own point of view before making a personal decision.

Answer by Bmat at 2:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Because people are lazy and cowards and it is an efford to fight your own devils.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Most people are caring people & like to help... But to solve our own problem mean change- most people fear change! To give others advice is just talking & an opinion. to solve our own takes actions & that may mean stoping something we enjoy, hurting another person feelings, doing something we dont enjoy doing, ect.....
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Way easier! When I'm in the middle of a problem (screaming tantrum, refusal to eat dinner, fighting going to sleep, etc) it's hard to remember all that calm advice.

And mommatasha is right - change is hard and scary even when you know it's for the best.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think it's easier to give advise because I am not in the situation at the time,even if it is something I have been through I can look back and see what did and didn't work. That's also why I like to get advise, an outside perspective is often more clear, the other person only has the facts and not the emotional involvement.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009