Tips for getting baby to sleep through the night...

My eight month old daughter still isn't sleeping through the night. She RARELY takes naps during the day, unless we're in the car, she goes to bed around 9pm every night, but she still wakes up every two hours or so. Anyone have any tips on things to try to help her sleep better?

sophiafarris

Asked by sophiafarris at 2:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she needs to take 2 2 hour naps a day. an over tired over stimulated baby wont sleep at night either

also make sure she is getting enough food through out the day, until she has enough nutrients she will wake to get what she needs
    Anonymous

• She eats plenty of food throughout the day, and I make sure to feed her plenty shortly before she is going to sleep. She is still nursing, but also eating solid foods. And I try to get her to nap, but she won't, no matter what I do. And even when she does nap during the day, she doesn't sleep.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well said anon
    Anonymous

• Annon is right - at least 2 naps a day. The old wives tale of get a kid extra tired so they'll sleep all night is just that - an old wives tale. Not only does it not work, it has the opposite effect. Overtired kids have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep, and are more likely to wake earlier.

Get her up at the same time everyday.
    Get her into sunshine within one hour of that to help reset her biological clock.
    Put her down for a nap 2 hours after she wakes up. Naps should be in her crib. Car sleep is not restful and does not count.
    Let her sleep until she wakes or get her after an hour if she is still awake.
    Put her down for a nap 2 hours after you get her up.
    Let her sleep until she wakes o get her after an hour if she is still awake.
    Have a good bedtime routine - dinner, bath, story, bed for example.
    She needs 12 to 15 hours of sleep each day. Based on that, figure out a good, EARLY bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Ditto to Anon. Even if you are just laying down for 2 2hr stints that is good. She will soon just sleep instead of lay there.

Few other things to check ... Is she teething? If so this could be some of your problem. Laying down is very uncomfortable when teething. Try either teething tablets, orajel or Tylenol if that is the case. When feeding baby still make sure you breastfeed before solids. The introduction of solids can cause some discomfort. I have also read that feeding solids before bed can have the opposite effect (wakeful baby instead of a sleepy one).

Finally sleep(ing through the night) is a developmental stage reached in baby's own time no amount of forcing the matter will change things. Hang in there! Sleep will come, eventually.

Anonymous

• Tell your ped. Something else might be going on.
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• your situation sound very much like mine!!! My daughter as you know is the same age as yours and yes, we are struggling with the same problems. She doesn't sleep through the night, and she usually only naps if we drive her around in the car. She was a co-sleeper for quite some time but recently we have decided it's time to get her used to sleeping through the night without being in our bed!! I still nurse her as well. I nurse her and put her in her bed awake and rub her back until she drifts off to sleep. (she fights it a lot of times, but you just gotta keep at it) I then keep my hand on her back until I know she's really asleep. Then I go back to bed. In the night I do the same thing, I DO NOT pick her up, I just put her back down and rub and pat he back... this sometimes takes longer than others. (6-20 mins) Try it... maybe it'll help you. Also, naps during the day are crucial, over stimulation causes sleeplessness. GL!
    Peaceful_Turtle

Answer by Peaceful_Turtle at 2:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2009