Probably a stupid question.

We are going to be flying to California this Summer and I have a question. When we get there, we have a place to stay, but what are we supposed to do about carseats. Our friends are letting use their vehicle...are we supposed to bring their car seats with us on the plane or what? They will be 4 and 6 when we go. DH has flown before , but the kids and I never have.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would go out and buy those cheap little booster seats that are at Walmart and take those with you. It would be a lot easier for the kids to load those around then the big ones.
    calapuls

Answer by calapuls at 2:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I was told it counts as luggage if you check it in. If you have purchased a seat you can use it on the plane, but it could be a drag to lug around the airport... hopefully not too many stops. Good luck happy flying
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• How much would it be to carry it on to the plane? Because of safety reasons, I rather not buy a cheapie, but thanks for your reply.
    Anonymous

• you can do "curb side check in" with them if you want and there shouldn't be a charge - although you might want to call to make sure since airlines charge for everything these days...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• sorry! not curb-side check in - i mean you can usually carry them in with you and hand them to someone as your boarding the plane and they'll bring them back to you when you get off - I can't for the life of me think of what they call it - either way call your airline and make sure they won't charge you!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I've flown with a carseat. We hooked it up in the airport van that picked us up; unloaded it at the airport. The airline had a big bag we could wrap it up in. They checked it for us. We had our regular luggage allowance still, but if you had 2 they might make one count instead of a suitcase (check with your airline). Then on the other end it came out a different place other odd-shaped stuff. We opened the bag and hooked it into the car that picked us up from the airport. Same thing in reverse for the return trip, except that airport didn't have a new big bag to protect it, so we used a lot of baggage tape to fix the bag from the trip over. I'd suggest bringing your own trash bag or something similar in case they don't have one for you (just make sure the seat fits!) Another time we traveled, we arranged to borrow someone's carseat that had been grown out of. If you have friends or family where you're going, ask them!
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 6:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes bring their carseats with you! You can either check them or they can ride on them in the plane. I like my 4 year old in his carseat on the plane it keeps him more still lol. If you check it it will be waiting for you when you step off of the plane along with the strollers of other passengers. Make sure to put luggage tags on the seats though! Take your own. The last thing you want is to get there and have to hassle with adjusting your friends carseats and what if they don't work well or they kids don't fit? Save yourself the trouble and bring your own! :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• We just flew in December, I have a now 5mo old and just turned 3 yr old. We checked our carseats, they did not charge to check them-but I would check with the airline, some might. I also bought a cover at Babies R Us that is meant for just that--I LOVED IT! We always have a layover and I really dont want to carry two carseats around the airport-it is hard enough with the kids. I was not comfortable with borrowing someone elses and not knowing if it was safe. It just so happened that our carseats and bags did not make out connection, when we arrived at our destation-they had to supply us with a new and unused carseat for us to use while we waited, and they could not take it back when we were done. We ended up selling it-not full price-and made a small profit. I have been traveling with a child for 3 years now, any other questions let me know. Good luck!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2009