Why do people use blankets instead of curtains on their windows?

I don't usually get bugged with very many things, but more and more I am seeing people who hang blankets instead of curtains. That is just lazy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I agree, it looks trashy. But I understand the need to make the house warmer or make it darker for 3rd shift workers etc.. but it still looks trashy. I see a house around the corner from us all the time, and it's not so much that they don't have curtains.. it's the fact that this blanket is sort of lumped up hanging ovet the window all crooked. You can see over the top of it, and it's sagging in the middle. If it was flat and looked more well-kept I wouldn't have as much of an issue. I understand it may be functional but it's GHETTO.. sorry.The truth hurts sometimes.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 6:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Maybe that can't afford curtains?? Did you ever think about that?

Why would it be lazy?
    Anonymous

• LOL!! I don't get it either.

Maybe money is extremely tight for them?

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 3:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have never seen that.

But my mother has a room that is EXTREAMLY bright. And even with shades and curtains it is bright. So when the kids take naps there, she hangs a dark blanket over the curtain rod to help them sleep.

Who cares what others have over their windows?
    Anonymous

• #1 My house is VERY cold downstairs and curtains don't keep the heat in
    #2 I can't afford to go out and buy heavy enough curtains
    #3 Why do you care? It's not your house
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Because I think it looks tacky. And I have to see it. Hang curtains underneath and then a blanket on top so when people are driving by they see a curtain through your window. I think it brings the property value down and make it look as if you are living in a ghetto. Basement windows, who cares, no one sees those.
    Anonymous

• Then you can buy them for me, since you're so concerned. I really couldn't care less what you think about MY house, I'm more concerned that my kids are warm enough.
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 3:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ....that is the stupidest thing to get upset about. To answer your question as to why people like to put a blanket over their window, its to block out the light. Most curtains aren't as thick as a blanket and don't make the room as dark. Some people like it to be pitch black at bed time.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree, I do the same thing too. We put blankets over the curtains so my dh can sleep during the day. but driving up my street I see this on a few houses & it just make me feel like it makes our street look bad. Kind of like when people park alot of junk'd cars in front of their house, or never cut their grass. It looks bad.

Sarah3 I have the right to state my opinion.
    Anonymous

• my god this is the stupidest things in the world. I can afford curtains and my kids kill blinds so i have to use blankets. it really isnt your business. In this day and age dont you think there are more things to worry about? grow up!
    Anonymous