Beauty Pagents?

Probly not the right catagory but here goes anyway............
I was watching one of those pagent shows last night and was blown away. One little girl won, I think, 4th place and was SO happy with her trophy, her mom...not so much. The little girl who won was acting like such a sh*t I wanted to slap her and the poor little girl who came in 2nd was balling her eyes out and looked devestated!

Now I thinik MY girls are BEAUTIFUL but I couldn't put them in a pagent b/c of all the makeup, hair, and false teeth (oh and the cost! omg!).But I can't really decide if they are god awful things that border on child abuse (something I read in an article) or just fun dress up oportunities. Do you think Pagents are generally self confidence builders or really bad ideas?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the parent's mean well...so I just mind my own business.
    Anonymous

• What has your question to do with politics????
    Anonymous

• I think its like everything else in life. Its what you make outta it.

I personally dont like them for my children and think they promote a focus on outward beauty only.
    So we dont and wont do them. I did some teen beauty pagents when I was younger and skinnier lol...but they were a lot more simple. The kind where you wear your prom dress and roll your own hair.....I decided I wasnt into them. Even thought I won several. ahhhh those were the days. lol
    Anonymous

• about the same as the purse quesion I would guess.
    Anonymous

• I feel that they aren't just dress up opportunities because they are competitive. It would be different if the little girls could get together and enjoy playing dress up, but to have your appearance and talent judged just doesn't seem healthy to me. I only saw a few minutes this week- I saw the part you mentioned about the little girl who was happy with her trophy and the cameral panned over to the mother who looked disgusted- until you explained I didn't know why.
    I am still rolling my eyes at the mom whose husband wanted her to save the money for college for the child but the mom spent it on the costumes instead. She said her daughter is getting an education- how to sing and dance and speak in front of an audience... yeah.

Answer by Bmat at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i was watching the exact same thing! and i was actually going to post the same question!! I personally believe there is a fine line with pageants. I know they can be a great thing for confidence, but the parents are what usually cause the problem. They push these kids to do something that they usually dont want to do and it drives me crazy!! I also would never put my daughter in one of these, Ive always thought of tem as a child molesters dream. I think its instilling all the wrong things into these girls heads. these girls think that beauty and makeup and dresses and hair are whats important, they have no idea what its like in the real world. they dont know how to be kids!! I know some moms can be very responsible with their kids in these, and not push them too hard, but it seems like the majority of the moms are trying to live out their childhood dreams
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Was it "Little Miss Perfect"? I was watching that show and it seems both sad and fun. It does seem as if the girls have fun, but then when they don't win, the parents seem so disappointed I can't imagine how this affects their daughters self-esteem. I didn't like the make-up and fake teeth either. But they were beautiful little girls though.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• anon this isnt just politics this would be the current events section too learn to read
    Anonymous

• I don't agree with it. These little girls are being judged on everything that is fake. Fake hair, fake teeth, fake eyelashes and outrageous amounts of makeup. There is nothing natural about them. They are basically being judged on who has the most outlandish costumes and looks most like an adult for their age with all the makeup and fake accessories. Any little girl can put on tons of makeup, wigs, hair extensions and outrageous clothes and look like a barbie. I think it would be much more rewarding and beneficial to win awards based on true natural beauty, not just looks, but personality and character and talent. I think these moms are setting their girls up to grow up thinking they have to use their looks and bodies to get ahead in the world. Also, a lot of these moms, not all, but many of them are overweight. I think they are trying to live out their desire to be attractive by dressing their little girls like this.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree with Amanduhpanda that this is a pedop[hiles dream, and also with BlessedMommy64 that it is something that the mothers invest in for themselves not for the kids. It's like a father who wants his son in Little League or school football so HE can live vicariously through his child. Also I think there's a bit of the mommy playing Barbie, using her child, dress her up and show her off...rather juvenile and it's really not mentally healthy for the kids. How many of thoses little girls are afraid that if they don't win they'll break their mommy's heart, etc.
    Also, I remember JonBenet Ramsey and we'll never know what happened to that poor little girl, and it probably wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been shown off like a prize heifer at so many beauty shows.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009