Anyone ever lived at fort irwin recently?

I wanted to know why the BAH for dependents E-4 is so low? If you put a zip code from LA not Fort irwin you get $2055 a month for BAH as opposed to $1,004 for there zip. My husband wanted to change bases but now i dont want too. Is it even a good base? are the houses nice? the city just seems so boring and hot in the summer. the only good thing is we are close to our family in Palmdale and long beach. But other then that the bah is too low and we wouldnt survive with a low bah.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Travel

• I grew up there (Barstow)
    Let me be honest. GET BASE HOUSING! Barstow is going down the tubes fast. Watch the areas you live if you have to live in barstow. LOTS of gang and meth activity there. I actually just got back from visiting my family.
    Other surrounding areas are Yermo, Daggett, Newberry Springs, Hinkley. Yermo has the better school district.
    Housing there is not nearly as expensive at LA which you are about 2 -2.5 hrs from message me with any questions.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The cost of living in the Barstow area is SOOO much cheaper than LA. They may as well be in different states; they are in different counties.

I wouldn't CHOOSE to live out there. You're hours away from everything.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• yea but our family lives in palmdale and wilmington. Palmdale is 3 hours away as opposed to 18 hours drive from Tacoma, wa to Palmdale, Ca. and fort irwin to Wilmington, ca is 3 and a half hours. we can do those trips. The only thing i wanted to know is about the schools. is the elementry schools inside fort irwin good?
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 7:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2009