Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do with this 7 y/o ss??

okay we have tryed everythign possible that i know of! he is disrespectful, violent, mouthy, distrupting, destuctive and just plain mean!!!! his school counselor just had to walk to my house(my phone is broke and we live across the street.) he was in iss (yes a 7 y/o in iss) he ripped up his work hurt a little girl and refused to sit down. yelled at the teacher told her no and was laughing about it! this has never been acceptable behavior in our home. i have tried spanking, talking, grounding, taking things away permanatly, taking things away with the option of earning it back, timeouts, lectures. what else can i do?!!?!?!!?!!?!!? help me please!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (10)
  • Sounds like you need help from someone who knows what type of testing he needs and how best to deal with him. Sounds like he might have a type of ADD or ADHD or possibly something more. Talk to the counselor and see if they can refer you to someone before he gets too old to handle. Good luck ;)

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • has he gotten tested for ADHD. I know it sounds strange but I had a couple kids in daycare that were the same way,and they turned out to have this. they also just didnt understand simple social behavior. You may want to try a child psychologist. the problem can be fixed, you just have to start now or the behavior wont change

    Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • i posted this question, i want to have him tested but his dad my dh wont allow me to. he says that he doesnt want him taking meds (the boys mother was a bad drug addict and took a whole lot of pills also she was diagnosed as bipolar, borderline schysophrenic and abused her pills for that too ) i think that he really needs the med. and it will help a whole lot but i cant go behind dh back

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • you don't have to give meds for ADD/ADHD. my boys gave been DXed with then I refuse to do meds. ADHD is not a 'probelm to be fixed'. Itis a different way the brain works that needs to addressed and the child needs too learn to respond to their own cues and thoughts.
    Meds is just treatment- an easy treamtment. there are other ways

    But if the boy has a family histiry of issues (mom with addiction, bipolar), it is neglectful too sit back and do nothing.

    Read "The Out of Sync Child"

    and if your DH won't do meds, do what you can do. some treatment is better then no treatment.

    For starters, get him on a structured schedule if he's not already. Make it wasy for him organize his life and things in his life. labeled cubby compatments, labeled folders, a big calendarwith color coded pends you can write and let him know what is going on the next week.
    (to be continued)


    Answer by Kiter at 4:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Perhaps dh will agree to having ss tested if the request comes from a school official?

    Answer by LISATV at 4:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • (con't)

    Also- eliminate artificial flavors and colors, switch to natural sugar/sweetners. instead of coorn syrup, white processed sugars, artificial sweetners use things like agave nectar, honey, cane sugar.

    make sure he gets enough protein. doesn't sound like an ADHD thing, but it really makes a difference with my boys when they don't get enough protein.

    Make sure he gets plenty of physical exercise. before school, when he gets home, before homework. Good activities are marching, obsticle courses, rollerblading, biking, climbing and "heavy Work'- like lifting and carrying wood, neavy stuff, moving things with a wheel barrow.

    these are things you can do at home to help. but you have to actually do them (not half heartedly) and be consistant.

    Answer by Kiter at 4:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Have you ever heard of Love and Logic... Jim Fay has amazing answers for raising children. I would check out his website and maybe read some of his books. We have been doing it with our children for the past year and I have noticed a difference in my 6 and 3 year olds behavior and attitude towards me and themselves.

    Answer by lovbug75 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • do you and your DHhave full Custody?

    Answer by Kiter at 6:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • yes we have full custody his mother is in prison for killing someone while she was intoxicated driving a car

    Answer by adamalory at 10:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • oops i didnt make myself anonymous!!!!guess u all know what a bad momma i am now!!!lol

    Answer by adamalory at 10:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.