My son just had his tonsils out Tuesday and refuses to drink...

He wants no ice cream, popsicles, juice, Sprite... nothing. I'm beginning to worry about dehydration. Any other tricks or tips to get him to drink???? Today he wouldn't take his medicine (Tylenol w/codeine) so i think I'm switching to Motrin... any help there???? Thank you! It's only tonsils but I'm stressing!

workingmom21128

Asked by workingmom21128 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Been there..two kids. You have tio force him to drink or he will dehydrate very rapidly. It's hard because it hurts. The good news is the more he swallows over the next few days the better it will feel. My son and my g-daughter both liked to just hold ice in their mouth. Don't give him anything carbonated...it hurts the raw area in the throat.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had my tonsils out when I was 17 and went through the same thing! My mom got some of those juices you get in the freezer section and instead of putting water in the she used ice in the blender. It was my own personal slushie I helped her make. I thought it was cool!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 4:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Bribery?

You need to force the issue...I had mine out at about 10, and would not drink or even swallow my on spit.....I did this for weeks, until my mom forced the issue. I can't remember what she did, but it worked.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My DD was allergic to the Tylenol w/ Codeine, so the doc had us switch to Motrin / plain Tylenol. It didn't cut the pain quite as well, but it's better than nothing.

He MUST get liquids. If he doesn't, tell him they will have to put him the hospital with an IV (that's true - not a bluff). Tell him exactly how much you think he needs to drink each hour (maybe 2 ounces) and stick to it. It hurts, but it's better than getting REALLY sick from dehydration.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009