How has having a child changed your life?

I am mostly looking for parenting views. Before children I hated life, it sucked. Now I know my daughter doesn't have to have the life I had. I can prevent things from happening to her if I make her well being a priority.

san-1

Asked by san-1 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• i became an adult. up until i had my son i thought i was an adult, but in reality i was a child. having my son made me start to think of someone other than myself and to put someone else first.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Before children, my husband and I could be talking and say hey why don't we go to a movie, or hey let's go out of town for the weekend, and we would get up and go to the movie or pack up right then and leave on a trip. With children it meant planning and extensive packing. For me it meant I gave up my profession that I'd been in university for 6 years studying, I gave up pension. income, status, independence. We both gave up a considerable amount of money. We also found people that we loved without reservation, we saw life through fresh eyes. we learned to evaluate what we said and did because it influenced impressionable little ones.

Answer by Bmat at 3:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• DH and I had a great life prior to our son being born, but everything is different now, in a good way. We have someone to live for, someone to nourish, someone that needs us to be together and give them support, love, food & shelter. DH and I have a closer relationship now because it's not about us anymore, it's about our son.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• its not all about me anymore!! my whole life ( i was the baby of the family) so the world revolved about ME, my needs, my wants, my desires..but that has totally changed!!! now, and for the past 5 years, its been about my daughter! and i love it!! seeing thr world thru her eyes is AMAZING!! care free spirit!! its great!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had to grow up, and still do.
    It showed me a total different dimension of love. Unbelievable!
    It makes me understand my parents better as I look back.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i get less sleep and by this time 7pm im wanting nothing but bed. and a little more quiet. so i learned how to deal with noise and running and screaming lol. i learned how to breath..1...2...3...breath...and count 1.....2....3.. (:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009