What are my rights as a renter?

We have rented our place for around 3 months. We asked the landlord to repair the heating to our unit - it turns out that there was no insulation to the apartment. The guys who came to install the insulation left tons of plastic wrap and cardboard boxes, there is also a gas can, a dirty metal shelving unit, and a few other boxes as well as a spare tire strewn about in the mess. Although these items are below my daughters bedroom window, they are not ours! We have no clue where they came from. I had assumed that the repair guys had left the mess, but thought it could have also been our neighbors. Our neighbor is in trouble because he has a bunch of crap piled in his carport which he has not cleaned up. Because this garbage is basically right under our unit I have the feeling we are going to be blamed for it, but it isn't ours. What do I do? I called the prop. mgmt. company but they haven't called me back.

monroesmum

Asked by monroesmum at 3:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• All that stuff is the landlords responsibility. Contact him and demand it be removed promptly.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Ok...
    1. Document and take pics if you can...
    2. Call the mangement office every couple of hrs until you get a response.
    3. Also is this an apt building? or a Home? if it's an apt. complex the managers are
    responisble for the clean up...
    4. If you do not recieve a response your opitions are leave a message telling landlord that you
    are going to place all upcoming rent monies in an escrow account at your bank until the mess is
    cleaned up and will contact the health department... or you can clean it up yourself and if there is a bill for this send him a copy and tell him that you will remove the cost from the rent...
    But you need to document it all times, places, pics...etc...

(my dh is a aprt. manager for a 100 unit complex)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• We're in a townhouse so the mess is right below my deck, but there is no backyard. I hadn't mentioned it to the property mgmt place until earlier this week when the lady was out here asking about the neighbors carport mess. I mentioned the mess in the back then because the guy who is fixing the problem keeps coming back to work on it but never cleans up after himself. He was just here on Wednesday, worked for an hour and left.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 5:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• you have the right to a decent and safe place to live.....and the right to speak out...
    island_rose

Answer by island_rose at 5:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• As I said document everything... everything you said to a person to whom time day/date etc... continue to contact the management office and start demanding that the mess is cleaned up each time the man is out to fix a problem...
    Give them a time frame to have it done (you have that right too) and then tell them what your next step is if it's not cleaned up...
    Stuff like that can not be left out not when there are children in the rentals or animals... and if it's your rental you have the right to a clean and safe place to live....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Also do not withhold rent for any reason if you have to go to court it may not go in your favor.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 12:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2009