Does anyone have any good advice on getting ur 5yr old to sleep in his own bed, its way past time and he just isnt having it?

How do you get him to sleep in his own bed?

itainteasy25

Asked by itainteasy25 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Its just a habit that you gotta break. And like all habits its tough and painful at times.

I would start by going to the store and letting him pick out a few new items to aid in the transition. Maybe a new cool pillowcase or stuffed friend, a nice nightlight. And then just dive in headfirst.

Be strong, consistant and expect a few sleepless nights. But it will eventually work if you DONT give in!

Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I put my 3 kids in their beds at 8 pm every night. my 3 year old gets up several times, but I put him right back in his bed. He does eventually go to sleep. Some parents may think its wrong, but I let my kids watch a movie to fall asleep. It keeps their minds occupied and not thinking about getting up, but it also teaches them to sleep with noise. Be persistent! Good luck!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 4:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well my son is 6 and he has slept with us since birth pretty much. I have him a beautiful little boy's bedroom decorated in all his favorites. It is the room next to mine with no door seperating our rooms. I can lay in my bed and see his pillow and vice versa. Guess what he's never slept in that bed. I use to put him n it after he fell asleep, he'd wake up in an hour or so and in my bed he would come. Now he's in k and at bedtime he does to his bed (our bed)haha When he has sleep overs his buddies sleep in his bed, he sleeps in ours. SOOOOOOOOO when he is ready to sleep in his bed I guess he'll be the first to realize it. Until then my husband and I are considering trading our full size bed into a queen or king size. If you do find an answer please let me know. Honestly we are waiting for him to make the move rather than try forcing him into it. Good Luck
    Jolene5

Answer by Jolene5 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I went through this same thing. We made a big deal out of his new big boy bed, we let him pick out his bedding and pillows. We bought a really neat night light that he couldn't wait to use. We also rewarded him after he made some milestones 1 week....1 month in his own bed...it all worked really well. Not only did he sleep in his own bed, but he was really excited about it. He was the same age as your son. Hope that helps.
    lisamomfor3

Answer by lisamomfor3 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My husband started this with our son at the age of 2 weeks old and I have never been happy about it, our son has his normal bedroom with t.v and all the neccessities a boy has,but he has to go to bed with dad every night and him being almost 8 he is getting too big for our queen size bed and too crowded, if by chance he does go to his bed he is up around 4 a.m and gets in bed with us. I also dont have any back-up on how to resolve this problem, ALL children should be in their own bed.Sorry I dont have an answer, I need an answer too because my husband dont agree with me, he is the GIVE-IN parent. I tell myself he is our BIRTH-CONTROL child,lol.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2009