Prego Doggie .....Pups soon??

I have a prego shi-tzu that is 58 days prego today. I started taking her temp on monday. Its was 100.1 in am , but dropped in pm to 98.4. Tuesday it was 99.3 in am and 99.0 pm. Today it was still 99.0 am and this afternoon. She is doing the "heavy" breathing, NOT panting but heavy. She wants to hide under any bed, and the pups are moving like crazy. Anyone have any idea why her temp isnt fluctating at all? She hasnt gone into noticable "labor" yet but Im trying to narrow whelping down a little by taking her temp. Its not telling me anything lol or maybe i just dont know why its staying the same. She went a little earlier than the average 63 days with her first litter 2 years ago. Anyone have any experience in this? Thanks.

houseof7

Asked by houseof7 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• My dogs first litter was 2 weeks early and her second litter was 2 weeks late. but when she went into labor she started walking around pushing like she was trying to poop but she was trying to push the pups down. i dont really know about the temps though. i didnt have to worry about my dog having her babys just anywhere cause she made me sit by her side the whole time. if i went to the bathroom she followed me in there.
    Cressida

Answer by Cressida at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• have you seen a vet to xray on how many pups r there and when they are due? also small dogs sometines need cecarian births so i would at leat call the emergency pet hospital they have staff there to answer questions about stuff this important.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• normal gestation for dogs and cats is between 61 and 63 days, the key to the temp thing is taking it at the same time every morning, and when it drops from one morning to the next, that is most likely the day she will give birth
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Approximately one day before whelping, the level of progesterone in the blood, which has been high throughout pregnancy, falls to a level not seen since the dog first went into heat. Within 14 hours of this progesterone drop, there will be a fall in the dog's rectal temperature (normally around 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit; prior to whelping, the temperature may drop below 99 F). This temperature decrease is usually followed by labor within 12 to 24 hours.

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Con't
    The Stages of Labor

Labor consists of three different stages.

Stage I begins with the first contractions of the uterus and ends when the cervix is completely open and ready for puppies to pass out through the birth canal. Owners cannot usually see the contractions, but your dog may exhibit panting, restlessness, vomiting, anorexia (loss of appetite) and nesting behavior. Stage I may last from 6 to 24 hours. It's best to keep the environment quiet for your dog so as not to further excite her. Little else can be done for these completely natural events of whelping.

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• con't
    Stages II and III alternate with one another: Stage II ends with the delivery of a pup, whereas Stage III ends with the expulsion of the placenta. It may take between 15 minutes and 4 hours between the deliveries of one pup and his placenta and the next. You shouldn't be concerned unless pups have not passed for longer than 4 hours or if your dog has been actively straining to deliver a pup longer than 30 minutes with no success. Contact your veterinarian or your local emergency hospital immediately should this occur.

SherriX2

• con't.............its sucks that I can ony post 1000 words at a time

this info. came from my animal group I have here. I also have "101 on puppies"

BTW~~~ feline's pregnancy ranges from 60-67 days;usually 63-65 days.

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• SherriX2 has it down pat! Also try to look for milk in her teets. When mil is present, birth is usually eminent.
    LoLA76

Answer by LoLA76 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thanks, As i have done this before, I am very familiar with all that comes with labor and whelping. I was confused by the consistantly low temp of 99.0. Thats all I was asking about. I actually contacted a breeder yesterday that has bred this breed for 31 yrs. and even she was confused at the signs my dog is giving. Just thought I would check and see if maybe anyone has had this particular experience before...but thanks to everyone who answered.
    houseof7

Answer by houseof7 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Here's a thought... spay and neuter your pets. There are enough dogs who are killed each year at shelters because they can't find homes.
    Britevylet

Answer by Britevylet at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2008