10 month old with cold won't drink fluids

My 10 month old has had a cold for 5 days. Started with the small fever, now just a runny nose and cough. He won't drink fluids for the past 3 days. He drinks a sip here and there. I have tried formula, juice, water. He just doesn't want anything. I think part of it is that he is so congested he can't breathe with his mouth closed around the nipple or on the sippy cup. He eats everything else just fine. I just don't want him to get dehydrated. Any suggestions? Thanks.

cvcl

Asked by cvcl at 3:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 10 mo...feed him watery fruits and veggies. Melon has a high water content, squash, cucumber, plums and nectarine. (Steam it a cut it into chunks as a finger food or give him purees if he'll take them). This will help keep him hydrated. You could also try a "big boy" cup...like a regular plastic cup. It'll be a mess but if you have one and he has one he might think it is cool and get some liquids that way.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• make your own popsicles with watered down juice.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• oh...you could also put apple, plum, nectarine, etc. in a mesh feeder. She'll chomp on it and suck on it but will mostly get the juice.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Take one of the syringes from infant Motrin or Tylenol and squirt liquids in the side of his mouth every 10-15 minutes.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My son has been the same way this week.
    Make sure you clean his nose before trying to eat
    and we also added fluids to all of his baby food
    My son did start taking small amounts of pedialyte and diluted juice a few days ago but won't take milk from a bottle... he will still breastfeed though
    You might want to try a regular cup or even spoon feeding liquid or if it gets really bad syringe feeding liquids
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• maybe he has an ear infection, i took my son in for what i thought was a cokd and turned out to be an ear infection
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009