Why was your baby breech?

I'm 38 wks. and my baby is in a frank breech position. If you had a breech baby, what was the cause? Was there any or did your baby just like being in that position?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Only about 4 percent of babies are breech and it can happen anytime during the pregnancy. Your baby could still change positions though. There is rarely a cause, generally the baby is more comfy in that position.

go to www.spinningbabies.com and they can help you with your options of turning the baby, exercises to do etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I've already had an unsuccessful version, which landed me in the hospital. I highly doubt my baby is going to change positions this late in the game. There is around a 1% chance that she will, probably even lower considering that a doc. and midwife were pushing and pulling on her as hard as possible and she still wouldn't budge (not only that, she was actively resisting them). I'm hoping, but I'm pretty sure she's wedged in to her position.
    Anonymous

• most babies wont move til they are ready and sometimes it happens just befor ethe pushing part of labor
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well a version isn't the best option for moving her, and can be extremely dangerous. Also many babies move during actual labor. I would still look at the website, it never hurts and those exercises are good for you to :)

Do you have a doctor who is willing to do a breech delivery? It's been done a lot but OB's aren't really trained to deal with them (out of ignorance).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• People keep saying "oh she'll turn in labor" but both of my midwives, who have delivered over 2,000 babies each have never seen this happen. It is the stuff of urban legend. No, I am not at all comfortable with a vaginal breech delivery, nor are any of my midwives ( I go to a practice with 4 of them). Every single published study comes to the conclusion that a schedule cesarean is the best possible outcome for breech babies, even when compared with vaginal breech deliveries. In fact, there is something like a 5-7% morbidity rate when delivering frank or breech babies vaginally and a less than 1% for scheduled cesareans.
    Anonymous

• And I have looked at the website and continue to do the exercises daily.
    Anonymous

• I just had a frank breech baby 3 weeks ago. There is no reason why babies dont or wont turn.. My daughter was breech from 14 weeks all the way to 40. She was a c section.
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 4:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My baby girl was breech throughout the entire pregnancy.... Shes stubborn now, so I attribute it to that :). She wanted to do it her own way!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have been reading up on it and it says in some breech cases there are congenital problems! This scares me, but we had two very thorough ultrasounds in the beginning of the pregnancy and the downs test and everything indicates she's healthy. They did an ultrasound during the version and she seemed fine. I'm just worried something is wrong with her!
    Anonymous

• It is up to the baby unfortunately. There are several things you can do to help her along, but you have to be open to them and it sounds like you have already made up your mind to go with what the midwives are telling, and not beliving she will turn. Most babies go into the head down position because the head is the biggest part of them and the pelvis has the most room. Try some excersizes that put her in an uncomfortable position and she wants to move. She could still turn as her head gets bigger, but of course you dont want to hear that cause you have argued with pp telling you the same thing. I really dont see why you asked a question when you aren't open to answers though, it really was a waste of your time. So I will say what you want to hear. It's not your fault (it really isn't) there is nothing you can do (although there is) and poor you for having to go through this (even though you are victimizing yourself)
    Anonymous