For those of you who have been both a SAHM or a working mom, which do you think was harder?

I, personally, think being a SAHM is harder. I will hopefully never have to work out of our home again because I want to be here with my kids, but trust me, there are days when I think working somewhere would be so much easier than this. What do you think?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Definitly SAHM
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think both are hard, just in different ways.
    I do agree with you though - there have been days when I longed to go back to my old job and just veg at my desk instead of having to be 100% functional, fun, and on-top-of-things all day long.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Oh wow. They both have their pros and cons. I think that working outside the home was far worse, because of the issue of what to do when the kids get sick. It was always such a dilemma in my family on who was going to call off work and take the kids to the Drs. When I stayed home, my husband could go to work and not worry about calling off. Also when you are at home, your day is by far more mapped out. When you work you have to worry about work, worry about home, worry about kids, worry about cooking, about when to clean, etc... etc... When I stayed at home, I did not have these issues. I feel that moms that work outside of the home are by far more stressed and it is more tough on them. Because, I KNOW!!!
    Anonymous

• Being a SAHM was a walk in the park for me compared to being a work outside the home Mom especially when the kids were little. I would come in after pulling a hard, on my feet 12 hr shift..only to find bills that had to be paid, laundry that had to be done, notes from teachers, frig empty kids hungry and need baths. My husband was in the Navy and was out to sea a lot and when he wasn't he had duty every 3-5 days(means he's gone overnight). He helped as much as he could...but the bulk still fell to me. It would have been horrendous to do it as a single Mom like my sister did. As the boys became teens it was some better they had jobs to do, their own laundry...stuff like that. Thhey also knew the night was going to be better if I didn't have to explode the minute I came in because the house looked like a cyclone hit it. Just my experience.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I just wanted to add that I suppose every situation is different; like a single mom working, or a SAHM who's kids are all in school.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think working outside of the house is 100 times harder.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think being a mom is hard, period! I work in the office 3x per week and I work from home with the kids 2x per week. So, on those 2 days at home I am working for my employer AND being a SAHM...talk about tough!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I was a SAHM, and when the children were both in school I got a part time job so I could be home when the children were . It was much harder to hold down a job and also care for the children. I had to condense the housework into fewer hours, and I had to find time to take care of doctors appointments, grocery shopping, driving the children to their after school activities. I was exhausted all the time.

Answer by Bmat at 4:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I've been a SAHM a Work from home mom and I've worked outside of the house.
    The easiest for me is working from home because I have fun doing the work, and my
    son can help me. I sell Avon and Usborne Books for Kids and he likes putting labels on
    samples and stamping catalogs with me. Its fun bonding time and we make money doing it!
    It keeps us on a good schedule and we're always out and about with friends and making
    new friends because of it so we don't get in a rut like on the months where business is slower!
    Anyway just from my experience!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 4:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Being a SAHM is harder. I have a life in my hands, not someones lunch like before, lol.
    Anonymous