What is the point

Do you feel that "faith" will always get you through and that "god" will always be there and catch you if you fall--that your "faith" and "god" are a guarantee so to speak--i used to think they were--but i met up with my church leaders recently and they told me that even though you have "faith" there is no guarantees--now i know there is no guarantees in life--but if that is really the case--then why have "faith" and believe in "god"---if there at least isn't some type of "guarantee" or help i might as well believe in nothing and go it alone---any comments here--really what is the point to believe or trust in a "god" or have "faith" , or pray, etc. if there is no guarantee????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in faith and all of that. But I also think God wants us to help ourselves. He is a busy man. We need to do everything in our power to make things go the way we want/need. But sometimes, our power isn't good enough and we need to know that if it's really right for us and we have done everything, he will open the rights doors for us.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Sometimes we don't get what we want because it is not what we need. Faith isn't to keep you from falling it is there to help you get back up.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• For me, it's all about having a higher authority to believe in & to answer to. Granted, nothing in life is guaranteed, but it is a belief system one should adopt & I don't believe it is my place to question. I am not necessarily a religious fanatic but I consider myself a women of great faith... and I feel that my beliefs & faith is what gets me through tough situations. In my prayers I always ask God with all my heart to grant me what I am requesting, however, since I do believe He is the Creator and the only one who I can put my trust in I must also understand that it doesn't mean if my request isn't granted that he doesn't exist it simply means that it was His will and as painful as it might be I have to accept God's plan. Now trust me this of course it isn't always easy b/c @ first one tends to go into denial etc. I've had my faith tested but it was the wisdom, hope & perseverance that restored my belief in God
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 5:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Tawanda 74 ~ I was going to continue & then I read your post ... great minds think alike. You took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!!
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 5:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well.. normally Christians don't worry about what is quarenteed now.. because the quarentees may not be the answers you want. it's what they are promised in the after life.. their rewards..

being an atheist.. we don't have an afterlife, and we are okay with that.. we live are life now and we live it free. PM me if you want to know more.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• God doesnt promise that we will never go through things..He only promises to get us through them...We are not guaranteed an easy life...We are guaranteed hope, love and comfort during hard times if we accept Him..We are given opportunities to get closer to God whenever were going through tough times am i right? ..Your going to have hardships regardless right? ...Why go though them alone..the harder life gets ,the closer to God we get..The closer to God, the more comfort and love is in your life...Hang in there..
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• There is a guarantee. God has given us everything we need to conquer all things thru Him. To have every good thing there is. We fall short of the mark, not God. It doesn't matter what I feel. Feelings can fool you. My faith in Godl lets me know all is well no matter what.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 6:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Good RidingPink. Excellent answer!
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• im also with RidingPink on this one
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You just described life as an atheist!  We go through life on our own two feet and the love of our family and friends is all the support we need. 

There are NO guarantees in life (except death and taxes) and the atheist expects none. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009