Pro-Life and Vaccines.

Disclaimer: The vaccine risk/safety is NOT up for debate on this post, nor is the abortion issue. I will delete it if it gets off topic. I am genuinely curious, and do not care if you're for or against either side...your beliefs do not effect mine.

That being said...Since SOME vaccines are cultured on aborted fetal tissue (MMR) do you still vaccinate?

I have a friend who's vegan and she decided not to vaccinate since some are cultured on aborted animal tissue as well. Do any of the vegans out there vaccinate?

Again, this is simply curiosity...you do not need to reply if this doesn't apply to you, and feel free to reply anon if you feel necessary. Doesn't bother me any.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally I am pro choice and if there is a use for the left over tissue then I am all for it. For those that are anti-choice I think it would be hypocritical knowing that this is the case and still continuing to vaccinate their children. So if you are anti-choice then I do not think it is right to use a product that has that tissue as an ingrediant. I mean you have to you your line in the sand somewhere. That is a good place to start. Oh, but I bet that big pharma, who has a huge lobbing force, will never lobby to end abortions. You got to love captialism.
    Anonymous

• I never knew that that was what they used to make vaccinations. However, it does not bother me because I am doing everything I can to protect my child. And I guess they are making something positive out of a negative thing.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i agree with krazy..i didnt know thats what was in them.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I will be select and delaying vaccines. For me, the fact that some of the vaccines have animal or human tissue in them is not AS MUCH of an issue.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Just for reference I found this on the FathersLobby.com and confirmed on the Merck site.
    The product insert from the Merck MMR II vaccine has the following introduction:

M-M-R II
    (MEASLES, MUMPS, and RUBELLA VIRUS VACCINE LIVE)
    DESCRIPTION

M-M-R * II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live) is a live virus vaccine for vaccination against measles (rubeola), mumps and rubella (German measles). M-M-R II is a sterile lyophilized preparation of (1) ATTENUVAX * (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), a more attenuated line of measles virus, derived from Enders' attenuated Edmonston strain and propagated in chick embryo cell culture; (2) MUMPSVAX * (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), the Jeryl Lynn ** (B level) strain of mumps virus propagated in chick embryo cell culture; and (3) MERUVAX * II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live), the Wistar RA 27/3 strain of live attenuated rubella virus propagated in WI-38 human diploid lung fibroblasts.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It is a tough one for me. I have to protect my kids in the best way I can. I vote pro-choice, but am personally pro-life.
    Anonymous

• Yea, the whole fetal cells, chicken embryo thing was another thing that turned me off to vaccines, and I am pro choice...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I genuinely don't know. Do they use aborted human tissue at all or is it all animal tissue?
    Anonymous

• MRC-5 is made from tissues from a 14 week old aborted male fetus. It's used in cultivating the vaccines. They also use chicken embryos.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• as long as my kids are safe who cares.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2009