is this normal?

My son starts school this year and i am scared to death, hes ok, im not.I worry he is gona get his feelings hurt or he might be embarrased about something. i know i cant be there all the time and he has to grow up but this is very over whelming to me. It scares me to death that i will have no control over what happens to him at school, what should i do?

itainteasy25

Asked by itainteasy25 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• nothing ur a mom, ur always going to be worrying about one thing or another they will always be our little baby. but mom u gotta let him grow up and learn experiences. dont worry if u guide him he'll turn out just right.
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 4:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Looking ahead a few years, I'm right there with you!!! I can't protect her though. Yes, she will get her feelings hurt, embarassing things will happen, she will have disappointments and heartbreaks. Part of me longs to homeschool her to keep her safe but I think that's a bad reason to homeschool... she has to learn to deal with others and the real world.

Over the next couple of years, I'll be putting her in classes that are not "Mommy & Me" classes just so I can start getting used to her having experiences without me there to share them. That's what I suggest you do to - get him into some fun classes (karate, piano, soccer, etc). Also, see if you can find a "Tiger Cub" group near you or see about forming one yourself. It's Cub Scouts for kindergarten. I'll be doing that for my daughter with Daisy Scouts.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You just have to accept it. It's hard, but you must. Yes, his feelings will get hurt sometimes, and he'll occasionally get embarrassed, and you know what? He'll probably have a teacher or two he doesn't like, and vice versa. These things all happened to you, and to me, and to the other mommies on here. And our moms worried just as much about us as we do about our kids. And we have to do just what they did: take a deep breath, put a big smile on our faces, and let go on that first day. Then, go home and cry. :) My son turned 8 today, and I still have to fight the urge to fight all his battles for him. It's just part of being a good mommy. You'll be fine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You are not the only mom who has these worries!

I have sent 5 off to school and have one starting next year and one who will enter a few years after, and I always worry. I know it isn't always going to be easy for them but all of them have survived...one will graduate this year.

Relax..take a breath and get to know your childs teacher. I am lucky our district is small so my littlier kids have had or will have teachers I already know. Feeling comfortable with the teachers helps immensly.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It is soooo normal to feel this way... when my oldest dd started school (she is now 27) she walked in and waved good-bye and I cried all the way home....
    I was worried sick over her and she had a wonderful first day... and beyond... it only shows just how much you love and want to protect your child .... that is what good moms do....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• have you considered homeschooling?
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 8:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009