High school drop out

I finished 10th grade. I was given a choice b my grandmother who I lived with at the time to either get a full time job and support her or stay in school and be homeless.
I am 21 now, I have been married to a man who owns his own business for 3 years. The business is not doing well at the moment and I am trying to find a job. No luck since I am a high school drop out. People looks down on me. They think I am uneducated and dumb (not true, I am actually intelligent, I love to read)
The only thing keeping me from the GED is the math part. I fail it everytime. I was in honors classes in every subject but math. I have never been able to grasp it.
What are some jobs I would be able to do without a high school diploma?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have you checked into a local high school or middle school? Many times they have GED prep classes at night...or even just a teacher willing to tutor. Don't give up on your GED.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would also check with your local job/employment service through the state. They may be able to help you with the job, as well as, helping you get a GED.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Don't give up on the GED...you can get books that help with the math part too. I totally understand how you feel about Math....I was the same way. Honors English, but struggled in Math. Had to have tutors in college.

Have you ever considered starting YOUR own business?? I have a business marketing degree but I am a Sales Director with Mary Kay Cosmetics. Everyone thought I was throwing my degree away because you DON'T have to have a degree or a high school diploma to start your own business. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me. I have been a consultant since I was 18 years old.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 4:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• CNA you take a couple week class and then a test. If you have compassion then it can be a rewarding career. It won't make you rich but you can make a living. HS seniors take it so anyone can do it you just have to be over 17.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You can get a tutor to help you with math and there may even be practice math tests for the GED that you can take online In the mean time, here is something you may be interested in to supplement your income. I love it :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs3 It is free, legitimate and wonderful for moms!

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 5:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You might check into working ChaCha like I do. You can read my journal entry: ChaCha Is Hiring Again! Yipee! Or go to their website at: www.ChaCha.com.  It's a company not a home business.  You answer questions online for people and get paid per question.  I love it! :)  After you read my journal entry let me know if you have any questions!

tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 6:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Anyone can make a living doing what I do and still stay at home and have their own schedule! I'm a single mom and am making it on my own and still have money to spare.
    SIgn up with me to sell Usborne Books. Its only $69 + tax to sign up and everyone I know has made at least twice that in their first week of business! http://www.ubah.com/ecommerce/recruitingSpecial.asp?sid=U2688&gid=70918800
    check out that link it shows everything you get in your kit. Easy sale!
    I do Avon as well and selling both together has made me a lot of money.
    It's $10 to become an Avon rep www.youravon.com/dhullum you can sign up on there
    Both Are cheap to sign up for and I know you'd do well with them! Good luck girl.
    I seriously hope you consider trying them out :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• walmart will hire you AND give you a raise when you get your GED please promise me you will work hard to get it you cant rely on your husband he may not be around forever do it for your kids
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my husband doesn't have his diploma either. he made pretty good money being a care manager at an old folks home, if that sounds interesting. if you want to know more about it, like which company and whatnot, leave me a message :)
    knjones

Answer by knjones at 12:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• Honestly, you really need to work on getting your GED. Most places that offer the exam also offer tutoring. Other than that there are fast food places, restaurants, some stores and maybe working as a personal care attendant.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2009