Medical questions on this site...

I am so shocked sometimes at the questions people get on here and ask before they call their doctor! I mean, I understand general, non-emergency questions - or even asking about more serious things once you've seen or talked to a doctor - but sometimes I read things people are experiencing on here and I can't BELIEVE they haven't talked to a doctor yet!!! Is this because so many people don't have health insurance? If so that is SO SAD and unfair.
But to the people wondering if they are pregnant - you can get tests at the dollar store!!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Yes, the pregnancy thing is a huge "inside-joke" here on CM and every body snickers when they see one of those questions. I wish we all had crystal balls to tell you if you're pregnant or not lol.

I agree, I think that many people substitute the help they receive on CafeMom for knowledgeble advice. Instead of talking to a professional, they rely on the answers here when they have no way of checking/verifying the credentials of their answerers. When the crap hits the fan and something goes wrong, saying "well Sally on Cafemom told me it was OK when she did it" is not an excuse.

Some of it might be insurance issues. Some of it might be the way some doctor's offices/nurse's lines make you feel when you ask a question; they're in a hurry and you're taking up their time.

I ask questions when I've already talked to my doctor or am seeing my doctor the next day and want ideas to run by him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It is quite funny considering you can't even get advice over the phone from the ER. You have to go there. What makes them think they can get advice from us.. FOR FREE? Maybe we should start charging! LOL!
    Anonymous

• most parents asking "THOSE" are first timers and don't really know if it is something to be worried about. I have asked a few questions of my own. When my daughter was running a 99 fever and had the runs. I did ask if I needed to take her to the Er. Because it wasn't a very high fever and she had the runs a few days. I thought it was just from her shots. Turns out I was right, but I was still happy that when I asked my question I got an answer
    LizWithAvon

Answer by LizWithAvon at 5:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I like the questions that are like "What do you think of my babies rash? Is it serious?" and then they add pictures. Hmmm.....
    Anonymous