Night time Screamer

My 2 month old baby boy screams from 7pm to 11 pm every night. My husband and I have tried everything including rocking him, cuddling him, taking him for a drive, putting him in his swing, he refuses a pacifier, and my husband even plays his guitar and tries singing to him. We always make sure he has been fed, burped, and changed. No matter what we do he literally screamsor those 3-4 hours at night. I am thankful that he doesn't cry much at all during the day or in the middle of the night. This is our first child so I am just wondering if this is normal and if so how long will it last?

ekerazy78

Asked by ekerazy78 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might want to look in to colic. My brother was this way and he cried non-stop. Is he asleep and then seems to wake up and scream for 3-4 hours or is this happening before you put him to sleep? If he seems to wake up and screams, he may have night terrors. My DD had these and they were horrible. It is also hereditary. We found out that my DH did the same thing. She eventually grew out of it, but it was not fun while it lasted. Good luck!!!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• They call that time of night "the witching hours". Not sure why but some babies just get really fussy for a few hours at night. My ds did from about 6Pm until about 9PM. It sounds like your baby may be a bit colicky. Tyyr giving Hylands colic tablets and mylicon before feedings at night. I used to that and then swaddle my ds tightly and rock him not lightly but briskly in the rocking chair. It will pass eventually I knoe how hard it can be. But thats what I did that worked. Is he getting enough naps during the day? I am just wondering if may be over tired when it comes to night.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 5:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My youngest was not quite that bad but what worked for us was putting him in his carseat & putting it on the dryer; we sat or stood by until he calmed down & it would often put him to sleep too.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 6:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• There was a video that I watched while I was pregnant called the Happiest Baby on the Block and it deals with colic babies. If it helps any, the person who came up with the method to calm a colic baby is Dr. Harvey Karp. His website is http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/index.html.

The five "S":
    Swaddling, Side/stomach position, Shushing Sounds, Swinging, and Sucking

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 6:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009