Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i know when to stop paying child support?

my stepdaughter just turned 17. she will turn 18 mid-feb of 2010. she does not live with her mother, though we continue to send her child support check to the mother. (the mother requested we send the checks to her mother, SD maternal grandmother, but we said only if you send us the request in writing, which she did not do) the order for support says to send the money directly to SD when she turns 18, but then, how do i know when to stop altogether? when she finishes HS? when she's 21?

Answer Question

Asked by autumnnoel at 5:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Read your court order. They are all different. Mine says my ex has to pay until they finish high school but no later then 19 yrs old.

    Answer by gemgem at 5:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • It'll say in the court order. Mine is until they are 18, or if they turn 18 while in high school, until they graduate high school if there is a reasonable expectation that they will graduate before turning 19. Some stipulate turning 21, and I know a couple of people who were ordered to pay while the child was in college.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 5:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • I would contact your Child support Enforcement office to find out what to do with your court order. If the child is no longer living with the mom then the payments shouldn't go to her. My father was set to pay until we were 18 or if we decided to go to college then he had to pay until we graduated but no longer than 25. Look into it.

    Answer by coala at 5:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Dig out the court order and read it. My sons dad is ordered to pay until he graduates hs or turns 19 whichever happens first. My mil's court order said her ex had to pay until my dh was 21. Im going back to court to have it added to 21 also since the kids will be in college and living with me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • For my daughter, child support ended when she stopped going to school full time. I think hers was 18 or until she finished college.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Mine says until 19 if F/T student, If she's a F/T student at 20 & 21, then my ex-husband pays.

    Answer by BingsMommy at 1:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2009

  • the problem i am having is this - the court order doesnt say! all it says is to send the money directly to SD upon turning 18. does that imply to send to her thru finishing HS then? or finishing college? or age 21? the court order was from mississippi, which is where she currently resides, but her mother lives in GA and we live in TX!

    Answer by autumnnoel at 5:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
High school drop out

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Sex at 8 months pregnant?