Latina mommas - did you breastfeed?

I heard that the rate of Latina mothers who breastfeed are quite low, is that a cultual thing? Did you breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thats weird. Im hispanic and breastfeed and dont know anyone in my family who didnt.

Answer by gemgem at 5:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm Hispanic and I breastfed my kids, as did my SIL. So did my best friends and their sisters.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'd be curious about the source of the poll. I'm Latina also & have breastfed both my kids & plan on BF the next one too, it's how I was raised & my sisters also BF although for less time than I did because they had to work.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 5:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well everytime im at wic theres alot of latina that breastfeed. alot of the wic workers are hispanic too.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm not Hispanic, but I read somewhere that the numbers are low because using formula is a sign of wealth. If you breastfed it was because you couldn't afford the formula. This article was talking about women in the 70's-80's. Some also used it so they could go to work in the fields & the older kids could give a bottle (brought the kids to the field/orchard) while she kept working.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• MIL said she never breastfed and no one else in her family does either. It's not just the US where breastfeeding isn't the main source of food for infants.
    Anonymous

• I'm hispanic. I really wanted to bf, but had to stop due to MRSA in my breast milk. :(
    Anonymous

• I'm hispanic and I BF but NO ONE in my family does. I hardly know anyone personally who does. I live in Houston, Tx and all I see are bottles. Many (not all) hispanic families are low income and uneducated in breastfeeding so they get formula from WIC.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My cousin is half hispanic and her husband's family is all hispanic. she told me that she wanted to BF but they all convinced her that its horrible and painful and unnecessary. Not that I think this is typical of everyone, because that would be a stereotype. Just giving one example.
    Anonymous

• You know, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I am hispanic and I just started to breastfeed, Also, I have never actually SEEN anyone in my family breastfeed. I know that a few of my SIL's breastfed, but never in public. Very few hispanic women that I know breastfeed so I, too, was wondering if it was a cultural thing.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2009