is it wrong?????

If you are a single parent of a little boy is it wrong to be very strict and have a firm hand on him so that when hes bigger he doesnt try to run you over? Is it wrong to insist he say yes mam and no mam or please and thankyou. some people tell me that im just to hard on him, that hes just a little boy.

itainteasy25

Asked by itainteasy25 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I dont think its wrong but how old is he? If hes a baby or 1-2 then he might not always since hes young anyway. You have to make sure youre within age range is all. My boys all say yes maam and no maam but I will tell you one thing it never stopped then as teens from being buttheadds.

Answer by gemgem at 5:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think that is what kids and not many parents do this enough anymore, keep it up.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching your child manners, no matter how early!! And you are right, if you teach him respect at a young age, he'll be better when he's older.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• no
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with mannors, but being very strict could back fire. Establising trust and respect early is a good thing also that can go into teen years, but the trust and respect works both way. Dont worry too much about later enjoy him at each stage and continue to build that relationship.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I don't think you are being to hard to expect respect from your child. I have always heard "Start as you mean to go on." I think that part of the problem with the kids of today's society is that parents are trying to be their kids friends. My kids tell me how mean I am all the time, but they are respectful to adults and know how to work hard. I say daily "Yes, I am mean, but I am your mom...that's my job." They will thank you one day.

If you keep your expectations for him in 10 years he won't question what is expected. Don't lower your standards because your friends don't agree :) There will be plenty of time to be my kids "friends" when they are adults.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• This is the way I raised my sons. When they started school, though, the other children did not behave this way, so my sons lost the careful manners I had taught. Even so, they knew proper behavior toward their teachers and then their employers.

Answer by Bmat at 5:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Please continue to teach you son manners! Too many kids today are punks who think they are bulletproof and I wish their parents would put them in their place. Even if he is too young now to remember to say maam or sir all the time, a reminder never hurt anyone. As long as you're consistant. Good job mama!
    Anonymous

• no i don't think your being to hard on him! if anything i think more mothers should be like you! too many kids run wild! your doing a great job! don't let people be mean to you! your a great mom! congrats

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Um..no. I'm a married mom of 3 boys. Doing the same things. I often get compliments on the manners of my boys. Too many parents DON'T teach those things. If it's done from the beginning there isn't any "retraining" to get them to do it later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009