Stubborn congestion

My 5 week old has had some nasal/ throat congestion for about 2 weeks. the dr. said saline drops were enough...it just doesn't seem to be clearing up. i use a cool mist vaporizer and prop his head up on towels so he doesn't sleep flat. I've used the aspirator to suck it out through his nose but i read its not good to do that too much because it can damage their nasal passages and anyway not much comes out, its mostly in his throat. any advice? also he's a formula baby - Similac.

Linnbebe

Asked by Linnbebe at 5:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think the formula is your problem.

I assume no one smokes in the house? Maybe your baby has an allergy to the detergent you're using and it's causing inflamation?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter is really allergic to milk(dairy) and that caused her to be very congested. I am the same way. If you maybe pat his back a little while each day it will help him break it up and maybe get it to come out... don't pat hard just like you are burping him. Also, you can go into the bathroom and turn the shower on as hot as you can get it and close the door making your bathroom steamy and take him in there and that should help make it run some as well. (don't go IN the shower just sit on the floor or toilet with the curtain closed).
    hotty2u14

Answer by hotty2u14 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• thanks...the shower trick works temporaarily..going to the dr tom. will ask about dairy...my husband and i are both lactose intlerant so u never know.
    Linnbebe

Answer by Linnbebe at 1:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009