pierced nipples, and breastfeeding?

iv had my nipples pierced for 3 years now, and i would really like to keep them. i started lactating a little within the past month (but only when i squeeze nips, and it only comes out a little, doesnt squirt) i plan to breastfeed, and i know ill have to take take out the bars/rings each time i feed my baby. i was just curious if anyone else has their nipples pierced and breastfeeds, and what tips or advice you can give me.
thanks!

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have mine peirced and BF as well, if u get the rings u wont have to take them out each time
    Anonymous

• I don't personally, but know many who do. Just remove before each feeding and obviously keep the area clean. On a plus, breast milk is super good for everything from pink eye, to scrapes so it wont hurt the piercings only help them hehe.

I wouldn't recommend leaving them in, everyone I knew would just take the ring out before a feeding. I don't think metal in a babies mouth is the best idea.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• celticreverie,is right,take them out each time,do not put that ring in the babies mouth,that can't be good,no matter what kind of ring it is.Congradulations on your upcoming birth,and good luck
    Anonymous

• I don't but have spoken to many that do. You should not have a problem. It doesn't need to squirt to be there either!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul99p64.html

it's fine. :)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i had both nipples pierced, twice! don't have them anymore, but the holes are still kind of there. i would definitely suggest removing the rings each time. i would think it could interfere with baby's latch. breastfeeding is still possible! congrats on the pregnancy! happy breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2009