CIO

what is cio?

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 5:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Cry it out
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• When parents are too lazy to get out of bed and get their screaming newborn.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Wow, moonlover, really? I use CIO, but never on a newborn. And it's cry it out, not scream it out. Neither of my children have ever been left to scream (except for tantrums, but that's a different kind of scream). But I don't run to them at the first sign of a whimper, and teach them that they're incapable of soothing themselves back to sleep. I'm not too lazy to actually teach my kids to self soothe.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 6:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My DD learned to self soothe on her own time. That's like saying that you leave your kid in another room to learn to walk because you want them to be capable. My DD learned to walk with me coaching her on.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Does anyone really use CIO on a "newborn"? After a few months, a parent learns the different sounds of their child's cries and there are times that it is best to let the baby CIO. The "I'm hungry" cry sounds different than the "I'm pissed and feel like yelling" cry and should be handled differently, so there are acceptable time to use CIO and there are times when it's not ok.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• CIO is never acceptable. We cannot always keep our LO from crying since it is their only form of communication but it's never acceptable to ignore a baby. If they are having a tantrum it's best to let them know you are there when their feelings are out of control.

CIO for sleep training is just cruel. Babies are not intended to be left in a crib, in the dark, by themselves. It goes against their instinct which developed in when we lived in caves. Just because this is modern day doesn't mean their instincts have changed.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2009