How do I stop my son from running off?

He's almost six, and lately, he's gotten into the habit of waiting untill I'm on the toilet "doing my business" and bam, he's out the door, down the driveway and running around our neighborhood. Thankfully, we live on a dead end street with seven other houses and there isn't a lot of traffic, but this scares the HE!! out of me. I've tried grounding him to inside the house only, taking away privlidges, etc. I'm out of ideas. I should also let you know, he has sensory integration disorder, which is an autisim spectrum disorder, so standard methods of punishment aren't always effective. Any ideas????? I'm desperate.

NevermindTwo

Asked by NevermindTwo at 6:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe putting a lock high on the door would stop him from excaping.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would spank is butt outside in front of all the little friends he might be trying to see. I bet he never does it again.
    Anonymous

• I would also recommend getting good locks that he cannot reach or undo.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Smart little fellow isn't he? You need to outsmart this little guy. A lock he can't reach is an excellant ideal
    Jolene5

Answer by Jolene5 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• take him in the bathroom with you. and install bolts he can't reach on the doors.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• spank his butt.
    Anonymous

• A lock of course. But if he's capable of understanding, let him know about all the dangers outside the walls of your house when hes alone. Like mean people that will take him away and hurt him. or cars that can run him over and kill him and that you won't have him anymore. Like what i told my daughter when she ran out infront of a bus "if that bus hits then you will die, do you know what that means? it means no more mickelle" my daughter stopped running off when she learned all the dangers..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009