can anyone pls tell me how they manage with their kids during bed time,coz mine won't sleep before 10:00pm & crying alot,it's really so hard for me?

my son is 18months,he doesn't sleep straight the whole night he wakes up more than 4 times,besides he doesn't go to sleep before crying ?

tina12307

Asked by tina12307 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I watched "Super Nanny" last night and the mom had two toddlers she slept with every night. IF you are willing to get your child into his own bed, the Nanny told the mom to tell her kids how much longer they had until bedtime, such as saying "you have half an hour before it's bedtime", then 15 mins., then 5 mins. Then you read the child a book, say prayers or whatever, then say, "It's time for you to go to sleep now", make them lie down, and sit on a chair or stool by the bed, facing away from them and not touching them and don't say anything! Of course, the kid got up. So, the mom was told to just keep on repeating the same actions over and over, and to not say a word at all, no matter what. Just get up, put the kid in bed and go sit on your chair, facing away. Don't sigh, don't be frustrated, just be firm & repeat, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES THE KIDS GETS UP! It took the mom 80 times, but the kid went to sleep at last!
    Ladyhawk04

Answer by Ladyhawk04 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm having a hard time too right now. My 3 year old wants to be up with me until I finally get the baby to bed...and then she tosses around (we co-sleep) for an hour making up reasons to delay sleep...then I'm up an hour or two later when the baby wakes up to eat. It is like a f*****g circus all night long. I know what you mean when you say that bed time is hard
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my son is 2 and doesnt sleep through the night. i have to lay with him to get him to sleep
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• what time do you put him to bed?
    Maybe he's not tired yet, if you are putting him to bed early.

Mine never fell asleep until 10 or 11, so I didn't put them to bed till 9:30 at least. If I put them to bed earlier they cried, whines, etc. So I just went with what their bodies were telling us. Put them to bet at 9:30. They woke at 6 on their own.

My middle had to be "Bear Hugged" to sleep until he was about 3 or so
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• He's only 18 months and unless you willing to do cry it out (I don't advocate) you may have to deal with a little of it.

A few questions..

How many naps does he take during the day and for how long? Cuttin back naps can help them sleep earlier and easier at night, it can make for a cranky toddler in the evenings but it is a trade off you have to make.

Is he teething? This is the right age for it, try tylenol/motrin right before bed time.

Do you have an established bedtime routine? One of the most important things, it lets them know what is going to come.

Sleeping through the night is different for every child, when thier bodies are ready they will do it. Patience they all learn eventually how to do it.

Good Luck!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Contrary to what a couple of the posters tell you, cutting back on naps will make bedtime worse, not better. An overtired toddler is cranky. He's also in physical pain and his body is flooded with adrenaline. This is a natural response in young children when they get overtired, it's designed to help keep them awake and functional until their parents can get them to a safe place to sleep.

Think of it this way.... you've just been in a car accident (1 minute ago) and you were slightly injured (bumps and bruises mostly). Now try to go to sleep while waiting for the cops to come and take a report. It's not going to happen.

Taking the nap away will make it harder for him to fall asleep, make it harder for him to stay asleep, and make him more likely to wake early in the day. Simple biology. Make sure he gets his afternoon nap and that the bedtime is not too late. If he's rubbing his eyes and yawning - it's too late.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Have a good bedtime routine to help him know what's coming next.
    Get him into bed before he is overtired, even if it means you or dad don't get to play with him in the evening.
    Don't stick with a rigid bedtime. Aim for a half hour window - if he's tired, cut the routine short and get him into bed!
    Get him up at the same time every morning, even weekends.
    Keep an eye on those teeth. If he's working on molars, get him 2 to 3 teething tablets and a dose of motrin about 45 minutes before you plan on putting him in bed.
    If he's unbearable in the evening, aim for an earlier bedtime.
    If he won't nap, try moving his naptime. It may need to be earlier, it may need to be later. I moved my daughters by 1/2 an hour and she stopped napping. I moved it back and she's back to napping.
    Good Luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I started following Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child when my twins were 6 mos old and it really helped us help them to become great sleepers. At 18 mos the method (which does involve CIO) may or may not work for you. The No Cry Sleep Solution might be a better option although I don't know too much about it.

Our schedule is as follows: the boys are up between 6:30 and 7 a.m. they go down for a nap at 1p.m. and bed time is at 7 (we brush teeth, change diapers, read to them in their cribs, and then lights out by 7:20 or 7:30).
    Since your LO is used to going to bed late, I would gradually move his bed time back by a half hour but immediately start waking him by 7 if he's not already up and be sure he goes down for a nap each day. A consistent sleep schedule/routine is important as well. Limiting tv time, especially before bed is also important.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I am on kid number 7 and never said to take the nap away (just to clarify) each child is different but if he is still taking 2 naps a day then it is time to cut them back. to one nap earlier in the day. When to remove a nap is up to the parent, each child is very different. Mine all had naps removed when they were 19 months-2 years, it just depended.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009