Female Firefghters?

Are there any female firefighters on here? I start training this summer. I would love to meet some other women in this feild.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thats awesome! I had a friend who was a firefighter over the summer in Oregan. She's not on cafemom though. She loved it and she was in the best shape ever.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I was a volunteer firefighter for several years. I was also an EMT. I didn't like the firefighter part, but it was the only way I could get on the ambulance where I was from.
    Anonymous

• Best of luck!! I hope you enjoy it. My son is a firefighter for the Air Force.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• yes i was
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My brother's a firefighter and when he was in training, there was a woman in his group at the station. He used to get so pissed because the guys would all have to take up slack for her because she was not physically able to do some of the stuff, but the city had to meet quotas so they had to keep her. I'm all for women's lib, equal pay for equal work and all... however: if I was in a burning building and needed to jump out a window, I'm sorry, but I'd want a big strong MAN out there telling me: "Jump, honey, I'll catch you!"
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Also, when my brother got hired, they were doing that quota thing, so I went down and took the written test, as I'm a girl and have enough Mexican heritage to qualify for minority status. My brother doesn't do well on written tests, so I did it to help him study when they opened up the hiring for all the non-minority men. I aced the test and the City chased me for weeks trying to get me to pursue a career in firefighting, but I would have taken a 50% pay cut to put my life on the line every day. No thanks.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009