Why don't we legalize Industrial Hemp?

I asked this awhile ago but got few replies and felt it was relevant with the talk of Obama's energy plans.

Industrial Hemp doesn't have enough THC to get you high, just a headache.
It can be used for food, fuel, clothing & textiles, rope, paper, cosmetics, paints & cleaners, building materials and more.

It is easy to grow, yielding 2-3 crops annually on one field with no need to lie fallow. Doesn't require the chemicals that corn needs to grow healthy.

http://students.ou.edu/W/Elicia.A.Wallach-1/usesofhemp.htm

Friday

Asked by Friday at 6:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why don't we just legalize meth labs while we're at it!

It's not legalized, because it would be hard to control and there are too many burnouts who would abuse it.
    Anonymous

• Careful, anon, your ignorance is showing. Industrial hemp is not smokable, all it'll get you is a headache.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Okay is it easy for authorities to tell the difference between industrial hemp and smokable weed?
    Anonymous

• I am now convinced that my 2nd grade teacher was a stoner. As I was reading this, I remember her telling us all about hemp and how it wasn't legal because it was too close to marijuana, but that they used it in other countries for all those things. Our neighbors had a giant plant of some sort in their front yard that looked kind of like the picture she showed us, and for years after I was sure they were going to jail as soon as someone noticed it.

As for your question - 30 years later I still don't know the answer, though I suspect it's because too many PTA moms protest and think it makes a loophole for pot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• LOL NP! I have no idea Friday. Will have to do more research! Thanks tho...interesting info.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• From VoteHemp.com

Myth: Industrial Hemp fields would be used to hide marijuana plants.

Reality: Industrial Hemp is grown quite differently from marijuana. Moreover, it is harvested at a different time than marijuana. Finally, cross-pollination between hemp plants and marijuana plants would significantly reduce the potency of the marijuana plant.                                                                      

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

Did you not even read the question? You seriously sound very ignorant.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 7:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If it's such a horrible plant that it needs to be illegal, why is it legal to bring in from other countries? We import hundreds of millions of dollars worth of hemp from other countries every year. Our farmers could use that money.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 7:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Okay Friday you win:) They should legalize then.

Ummm...trippyhippy, your screenname sounds like you would be one of the one's who would possibly abuse it-mind your own business, thanx.
    Anonymous

• Move to North Dakota it is legal to grow there with a permit. I am not sure what the specifics are but I know that North Dakota is doing pretty good the last time I visited. I'm all for it. Go Grow Hemp.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009