Upper Gi On Newborn?

My six week old has been choking during and after feedings today it went on for a few minutes... where it seemed she wasn't breathing. So I called her doctor and they want to do a upper gi tomorrow morning. Which is where they drink the barium and take an x-ray... anyone had this done. Did the barium cause any issues? I'm worried about an xray on a six week old... esp girl, I want her to be able to have babies someday it just seems early to do it. Just seenin if anyone had it done and the outcome?

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its a safe procedure they monitor baby very closly and take extra caution. dont stress about it. its best you know whats going on with your dr its not ok shes choking while eating.
    Anonymous

• are you breastfeeding?
    if so it could be possible that you simply have a strong, forceful or quick letdown and baby is having trouble keeping up.

good luck with the test, i hope all will be well.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My preemie son had a lower GI when he was 3 days old and has shown no ill effects. It did change his poop color, though.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 1:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2009