question about storms...

if its lightening outside and you take a shower, will you get struck my lightening? or does it raise the chances? and if its lightening outside, and you talk on your cell phone, will you get struck by lightening?
the reason i ask is because i was always told yes it raises the risks. my hubby will take a shower while its lightening outside and want to give our little boy a bath too and i wont let him because im scared he will get struck by lightening. he thinks im crazy. lol after reading how this sounds, im thinkin he may be right. but i have to get everyones vote on this.

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i've always heard the same thing about showers so I won't take a shower during a storm. it hink it all depends on how your water is hooked up or something like that.. never heard about the cell phones though
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i meant phones in general. sorry all i have is a cell phone so i guess i didnt even think about home phones. lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• wait..get struck by lightning while your actually in the shower..or if you go outside after???
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 7:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• http://www.gilliselectricinc.com/florida-articles/lightning-safety.html

Read here . . . you're not crazy!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The electricity can travel through the phone lines if you are on it at the time lightening hits close to your house, never been shocked by it but it has messed my phone up and made me drop it....that one I do believe, but the shower one, water and electricity dont mix so I just stay on the safe side and dont do it. LOL
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I actually knew a guy who got struck by lightning while talking on his cordless phone. At least that is what he told me.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 7:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• while you are in the shower summer...
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• yeah, i've heard of not taking baths or showers while it was lightening out, but it can strike you anytime, i think the story about a teacher i once had was: he was outside, dropped his keys, went to pick them up and died of lightening attack.

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes it can happen just like the electricity can come through your TV and electrocute you that way as well. I just asked my Hubby this question and he is a lineman for our power company in our state. He said it all can absolutely happen, it's a rarity but it can happen.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I am not sure the stats on actually getting struck by lighting. But a family member of mine was taking a shower during a storm and a tree fell on her bathroom and almost killed her. She was in the hospital for a LONG time. I also do know that water is a conductor for ele. and lighting comes from the ground. So if you trust to shower during a storm thats your choice. And about the cell phone thing, Dont think so. But a house phone possible, you have the wires connected to your home and if a pole is struck and you are on the phone you could receive a hot discharge, but not enough to do much harm.
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 8:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2009