how do you get a two-yr-old with a uti to pee?

My niece has a uti and she refuses to pee. She is kicking and fidgeting in her sleep, even! now she is awake and doing a violent pee-pee dance and screaming. she is scared to pee because it hurts. we've tried everything--a bath, a video (distraction), running water, sleep, etc.... any other ideas?

Pieta0227

Asked by Pieta0227 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you have a UTI, it hurts really bad!! she might just have to stay up till it goes away if it does.

i think you need meds for it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Put the child in the tub and tell her its ok to pee thats what the dr told me to do yea its nasty but it helps with the pain.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter had a UTI, so I took her to the doctor and he had to use a catheter to get her pee out. He gave her antibiotics to get rid of the UTI, then she was fine. She hated the catheter so much, she didn't refuse to pee for me when we got home! Traumatized me to death, watching them put in the catheter! You really need to take her to a doctor to get the proper meds. But, the bathtub idea sounds good to me. Anything that will work! Good luck.
    Ladyhawk04

Answer by Ladyhawk04 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• A small washbasin with warm water to sit in could help, she would be small enough to sit in it
    Anonymous

• I agree, a bath with cool water.The warm will only help it burn...and then wipe her bits with a cool cloth.

Also, have her drink tons of fluid...it will help the infection pass faster.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009